|Alma mater||University of British Columbia
Art Center College of Design
Habib Zargarpour has had almost two decades of experience in visual effect for film. He had worked as a graphic artist and fine arts illustrator since 1981, and began his career in visual effects for film in 1990 when he spent a few years working on digital effects for IMAX films in Los Angeles. He graduated with distinction in Industrial Design from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena in 1992 and discovered his passion for design in film.
He spent 9 years at Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) where he first joined the team of The Mask in 1993 as a Technical Director. Subsequent projects included the development of such effects as the particle tornadoes in Twister, the digital oceans and stormy seas in The Perfect Storm, Spawn’s cape, and the pod race simulations and crashes in Star Wars Episode I.
While at ILM, he was nominated for two Academy Awards in Visual Effects for Twister and The Perfect Storm and garnered two British Academy Awards for those films working with Visual effects supervisor Stefen Fangmeier. He worked as a Digital Effects Supervisor with John Knoll on the pod race sequences in Star Wars Episode I and on two Star Trek films: Star Trek Generations and Star Trek First Contact, working on the never before seen space anomalies and the Phoenix rocket launch sequence. Other creative projects at ILM included all digital underwater shots of Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity, and the alien creatures in Signs.
Zargarpour continues to value the CG industry as the perfect mix of technical and artistic realms. Since 2003, Habib has worked as a Senior Art Director at Electronic Arts on driving and racing titles. His projects included Need for Speed Underground and James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing. In 2006 he Art Directed a next generation title called Need for Speed: Most Wanted for which he received a VES (Visual Effects Society) Award in 2006. In 2009 he served as an official festival judge for the Noor Iranian Film Festival in Los Angeles.
As of May 2010, Zargarpour is a creative director of Microsoft Game Studios.
- Silver Cord (2009)
- Signs (2002)
- The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Aizea: City of the Wind (2001)
- The Perfect Storm (2000)
- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Snake Eyes (1998)
- Spawn (1997)
- Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
- Twister (1996)
- Jumanji (1995)
- Star Trek Generations (1994)
- The Mask (1994)
- Adventures in Dinosaur City (1992)
- Need for Speed: Shift – Consulting Art Director (2009)
- Need for Speed: Nitro – Consulting Art Director (2009)
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted – Senior Art Director (2006)
- James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing – Senior Art Director (driving missions) (2003)
- Need for Speed Underground – Senior Art Director (2003)
- "مصاحبه با هنرمندان: حبیب زرگرپور" [Interview with artists: Habib Zargarpour] (in Persian). cgart.ir. July 2011. Retrieved March 25, 2013.