|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Municipality Chairman||Tapati Dutta|
|• MLA||Jyotipriyo Mullick,minister of state, food and distribution,govt. of West Bengal|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91 32162|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barasat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Habra|
Habra is a municipal town under Barasat sadar subdivision in North 24 Parganas district of the Indian state of West Bengal. Habra is situated on the Jessore Road between Kolkata and the Bangladesh border at Petrapole. Its location makes it an important town for export and import of goods between India and Bangladesh.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Administration
- 4 Healthcare
- 5 Transport
- 6 Education
- 7 Social
- 8 Economy
- 9 See also
- 10 References
Habra is located at  It has an average elevation of 13 metres (42 feet)..
As of 2011 India census, Habra had a population of 149,675, out of which 76,510 were males and 73,165 were females. The 0–6 years population was 11,211. Habra had an average literacy rate of 90.85%.
Habra Municipality is responsible for the well being of its residence. Habra Municipality recently installed tower lights from the fund of member of Vidhan Sabha Jyotipriyo Mullick has changed the environment of the night of Habra.
Habra Police Station is one of the most important Police station in North 24 Parganas District. Sri Anil Kumar Roy is the Inspector in Charge of the PS since 19.03.12. Since his joining at criminal activity have fallen dramatically and Police public relation has improved a lot. Murder, extortion,dacoity, robbery was the common crimes under this PS.
Habra State General Hospital is responsible for healthcare of the locals. Some non government hospital and nursing homes are also there. North 24 Parganas district has been identified as one of the areas where ground water is affected by arsenic contamination. Some arsenic free deep tube well are build by the government, like one in Habra Police Stations, for supplying arsenic free drinking water to the locals.
It is 45 km from Sealdah Station and 25 km from Barasat on the Sealdah-Bangaon branch line of Eastern Railway. It is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. Habra and Bangaon local connects this town to Sealdah Station and other stations of the Sealdah-Bangaon branch line. Habra Station Road is directly connected on NH 35 (Jessore Road).
Habra is situated on the Jessore Road between Kolkata and the Bangladesh border at Petrapole. Habra-Naihati road connects this town to Naihati. Habra is also connected to National Highway 34 (India) by Habra-Naihati road connecting this town to krishnanagar, Kalyani and other towns and cities. Habra hosts a important depot of Belghoria Division of the South Bengal State Transport Corporation. Buses of South Bengal State Transport Corporation connects Habra to other towns and cities of West Bengal. Buses from Habra Bus Terminal are directly connected to Naihati, Maslandapur, Madhyamgram, Bangaon, Barasat, Nagarukhra, Kalyani, Basirhat, Kolkata, Bagdah, Chakdah, Bagjola, digha, Durgapur, Bandel, Baruipur, Howrah, krishnanagar, Barasat, Alampur, Dattaphulia, Nimta, Sodepur, Duttapukur, Jagulia, Baduria.
These are many Schools, Colleges and Engineering Institutes of Habra.
Schools of Govt. of India
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (Banipur)
State Govt. School
- Habra High School
- Habra High School for Girls (H.S),
- Adarsha Balika Vidyalaya (H.S)
- Habra Kamini Kumar Girls' High School (H.S)
- Prafullanagar Vidya Mandir (H.S)
- Prafullanagar Balika Vidyalaya (H.S)
- Habra Model High School (H.S),
- Banipur Baniniketan High school (H.S)
- Banipur Baniniketan Girls’ High school (H.S)
- Dakshwin Habra High School (H.S)
- Hatthuba Adarsha Bidyapith
- Kalibala Kanya Vidhyapith(H.S)
- Jaygachi Adarsha Valika Vidyalaya
- Jaygachi Shayamaprasad High School (H.S)
- KAMARTHUBA NIVEDITA BALIKA VIDYALAYA(H.S.)
- Kamarthuba Vivekananda Vidyapith (H.S),
- Prafullanagar Vidyamandir(H.S)
- Prafullanagar Balika Vidyalaya (H.S),
- Purbachal High School
- Saptapalli Deshbandhu Balika Vidyalaya
- Sisu Vidyamandir High School(H.S.)
- Sreema Vidyamandir
- Banipur S.W. Home School
- Govt. Basic cum Multipurpose School
- St. Francis Day School
- St.Stephens School
- Stratford Day School
- Shree Chaitanya College of Science & Arts,
- Shree Chaitanya MahaVidyalaya,(Shree Chaitanya College of Commerce)
- Gandhi Centenary B.T College
- Banipur Janata College
- Banipur Woman’s College
- Vivekananda Institute of Management and Technology
- IERCEM Institute of Information Technology (IIIT)
- Govt. College of Education (Banipur)
- Post Graduate Physical Training College
- Habra Bio-Chemic Medical College & Hospital
- Banipur Youth Computer Training Centre
- Habra Youth Computer center
- Banipur Home (Orphans House)
- Junior Basic Training College (JBT)
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Sports School ( Banipur)
- Industrial Training Institute (ITI) Banipur
- B.K.Kar Paramadical Institution
Banipur Loka Utsav is held at Banipur, Habra starting on 1st Sunday of February every year, for 8 days. It is the 2nd largest Loka Utsav in West Bengal. It acquired approx. 18 to 20 bighas of land. Habra is the only municipality in west Bengal where BJP operates the municipality.
Habra Bazar is one of the larestest hub for business in west bengal and one of the local goods supplier to Kolkata. Habra Bazar supplies Rice, Green vegetables, Milk, Fish, Chicken, Garments, Jewellery,Jute to Kolkata and other parts of India. Export and import businesses (mainly with Bangladesh) are also noteworthy. Habra Bazar is the second largest business hub (Bazar) in West Bengal next to Burrabazar, Kolkata.
- Official District Administration site
- District-wise list of statutory towns
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Habra
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Eastern Railway time table