Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., Inc. (HFM U.S.), originally known as CBS Publications, was a subsidiary of Hachette Filipacchi Médias (the world's largest magazine publisher), and was based in New York City.
It was formed in 1972 as CBS Publications. CBS expanded its magazine group by acquiring Fawcett Publications in 1977, and the majority of the Ziff Davis magazines in 1984. CBS Publications in 1982 sold Fawcett Publications to Ballantine Books while Popular Library was sold to Warner Communications.
Executive Peter Diamandis acquired the division in 1987. Hachette purchased Diamandis Communications in 1988.
In May 2009, the company sold American Photo, Flying, Boating, Sound and Vision, and Popular Photography to the Bonnier Group.
Hearst Magazines acquired Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S.'s magazines along with most of Hachette Filipacchi's international magazines in May 2011.
List of publications
From 1995 to 2001, the company also published the magazine George which was founded by John F. Kennedy, Jr..
- Hachette Filipacchi Custom Publishing, integrated marketing, database, market research
- Hachette Enterprises
- Filipacchi Books
- ^ a b Geraldine Fabrikant (July 14, 1987). "CBS Inc. to Sell Magazine Unit to its Executives". The New York Times. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- ^ a b "Copyrights of Golden-Age Comics". Golden-Age Comic book Superheroes & Villains Encyclopedia. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- ^ "CBS + Ziff = huge". Folio:. February 1985. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- ^ Geraldine Fabrikant (April 14, 1988). "Hachette to Buy Magazine Publisher". The New York Times. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- ^ "Bonnier Corp. Acquires Five Magazine Brands from Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S." (Press release). Vocus. June 3, 2009. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- ^ Chris O'Shea, Chris O'Shea (May 31, 2011). "Hearst Corporation Completes Hachette Filipacchi Media Acquisition". mediabistro.com. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- ^ a b c "Hearst makes play for Hachette Filipacchi". Crain's New York Business. January 31, 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.