Hackney University Technical College
|Type||University Technical College|
|Acting Principal||Catharine Wensley|
|DfE URN||138265 Tables|
Hackney University Technical College is a university technical college (UTC) that opened in September 2012 in the Shoreditch area of the London Borough of Hackney in Greater London, England. The University of East London and Hackney College are the lead academic sponsors of the UTC, and BT Group and Homerton University Hospital NHS Trust are the lead business sponsors of the UTC. The UTC is to close in 2015 after failing to attract enough pupils.
Hackney UTC was the first UTC to be established in London, and opened in September 2012 in new dedicated buildings at the main campus of Hackney College. The UTC has an initial intake of students aged 14 (academic year 10) in 2012, but expanded to accommodate students aged 14 to 19 over the following years.
In January 2014 Hackney UTC received its first Ofsted section 5 inspection which judged the school as "Requires Improvement" across all four key indicators; Achievement of Pupils, Quality of Teaching, Behaviour/Safety of Pupils and Leadership and Management. A "Grade 3" school requiring improvement is not yet a good school. Ofsted goes on stating that such a school will receive another full inspection within 24 months of the last inspection.
In July 2014 it was announced that Hackney UTC will not receive new students in future and will close fully in 2015. The reason for the closure was that the school received only 29 applications for September 2014 out of a target of 75.
Hackney UTC specialises in health technologies and digital technologies, and aims to train local children for employment in the Silicon Roundabout area of East London, working in partnership with local technology firms and educational institutions.
- "Partners : Hackney UTC : A University Technical College". Hackney UTC. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "First UTC in London: New Hackney school with links to Tech City now taking applications - Education". London 24. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "About Us : Admissions : Hackney UTC : A University Technical College". Hackney UTC. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Seven new University Technical Colleges announced by government - Education - TES News". News.tes.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "University Technical Colleges". Utcolleges.org. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Anna Davis, Education Correspondent (2012-05-03). "Hackney University Technical college trains students for digital future - Education - News - Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "About Us : Curriculum Offer : Hackney UTC : A University Technical College". Hackney UTC. Retrieved 2012-08-06.