||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Birth name||Ha Dong-hoon (하동훈)|
|Also known as||Haha (하하)
August 20, 1979 |
West Berlin, West Germany
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, electropop, hip-hop, reggae fusion|
|Occupations||Singer, rapper, dancer, comedian, actor, presenter|
|Associated acts||10cm, Davichi, MC Mong, Tiger JK, Psy|
|Revised Romanization||Ha Dong-hun|
Ha Dong-hoon (Hangul: 하동훈; born on August 20, 1979), better known by his stage name Haha (Hangul: 하하) is a German-born South Korean recording artist, actor, presenter and stand-up comedian. He is best known for being in the sitcom, Nonstop and for co-hosting two popular variety programs, MBC's Infinite Challenge and SBS's Running Man.
Life and career
2000–2008: Debut and rising popularity
Haha was born on August 20, 1979 in Berlin, Germany and moved to Seoul, South Korea when he was an infant. His parents are both Korean and he has an older sister, Ha Juri (Hangul: 하쥬리) who is a pianist. Haha graduated from Daejin University, where he obtained a Masters degree in Drama and Fine Arts. He later became a trainee for Seoul Records and debuted as a singer and rapper in 2001 with boy band, Jikiri. Despite excessive promotion, Jikiri failed to get popular and was quickly disbanded.
In 2002, Haha became a co-host for the show, What's Up YO! alongside MC Mong and Jerome To. The three later became known as the "What's Up Trio" because of their strong friendship on-screen. Haha later joined the main cast of the third season of Nonstop, a sitcom about a group of college students and their friends and family. He remained part of the cast up until 2003 which managed to gain him recognition for his acting and comedy skills. Haha later became the producer and presenter for his own radio show with MC Mong, known as Haha and Mong's Journey in 2004 for SBS Power FM.
After leaving Nonstop, Haha spent two years alongside singer, Taw, preparing and recording his debut album titled, "The Beautiful Rhyme Diary". The album was released on February 18, 2005 alongside his debut single, "Love Song" but failed to chart or garner much popularity. He eventually guested on X-man in May 22, 2005 and became popular for his imitations of close friend, Kim Jong-kook. His sudden popularity spike allowed him to become a regular guest for X-man, arguably the biggest variety show of that time.
Also thanks to his rising popularity, Haha added to the cast of MBC's Infinite Challenge by December 2005 as the part of the program's format changes under new PD of the program, Kim Tae-ho. By the time Season 3 aired in 2006, the concept and format of "variety & reality program" became very popular, and Infinite Challenge became the forerunner of many programs that followed with the same or similar format. Since December 2, 2006, the program has received the highest ratings of prime-time lineups for Saturday evening. In his final episode before entering the service, Haha performed at a guerilla concert at Yeouido Park that was secretly organized by his fellow co-hosts.
He also returned as a guest for the sixth and final season of Nonstop in 2006. In 2007, Haha released his second single, "You're My Destiny" which took a samples from the song "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King. The single managed to reach number one on the Gaon Chart and he performed on his Comeback Stage on Music Bank in November. Haha later joined the show, Happy Shares Company as a co-host until February 2008.
2008–present: National service and Running Man
In February 2008, Haha temporarily left Infinite Challenge in order to serve his national service for the army. Previous reports had stated that he had been attempting to evade his military service however, these reports were confirmed to be false and Haha's service had only been postponed. During his service, he collaborated with a new group Davichi in their song "Love and War". After 24 months of serving the military, on March 11, 2010, he was discharged from the military.
After finishing his military service, Haha returned to the cast of Infinite Challenge following the requests from fellow co-hosts Yoo Jae-suk and Noh Hong-chul. He also made regular guest appearances on Yoo Jae-suk's talk show Come to Play and was the co-host of the Haha-Mong Show with MC Mong up until allegations had sprung up that MC Mong had attempted to evade his military service. Since 2010, Haha is one of the co-hosts for SBS variety show, Running Man. On December 30, 2011, Haha received the award for "Best Entertainer" during the 2011 SBS Entertainment Awards for his work on Running Man. He also performed his single, "Rosa" during the award ceremony.
|Title||Album Details||Peak Positions|
|The Beautiful Rhyme Diary||—|
|Quan Ninomarley A.K.A. Haha Reggae Wave||19|
|Acoustic Tuning Time||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.
"*" denotes that the album still charts but the position is yet not to be mention.
|2007||"You're My Destiny"||1||
|2008||"It's 7 Years" (with Taw and MC Mong)||25|
|"That's Right, I Can't Sing"||34|
|2010||"A Bottle of Liquor" (with Tiger JK)||—|
|"You're My Destiny 2"||48|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2005||Love in Magic||Park Dong-sun||Supporting role|
|2006||My Boss, My Teacher||Jin Soo||Supporting role|
|Who Slept with Her?||Ahn Myeong-seop||Lead role|
|Holy Daddy||Ha Dong-hoon||Lead role; Credited as Ha Dong-hoon|
|2007||The Friends||Halibut||Supporting role|
|Happily N'Ever After||Mambo||Lead role; Korean dub voice-over|
|2002–03||What's Up YO!||Co-host||Mnet||Alongside MC Mong|
|Nonstop||HaHa||MBC||Lead role; Season 3|
|2005–07||X-Man||Himself||SBS||Frequent guest appearances|
|2005–08||Infinite Challenge||Co-host||MBC||Joined cast in December 2005 and left in February 2008 to serve his National Service.|
|2006||Nonstop||HaHa||MBC||Guest role; Season 6|
|2006–08||Music Bank||Host||KBS2||Left in February 2008 to serve his National Service.|
|2007||Yi San||Public Official||MBC||Guest role|
|2007–08||Happy Shares Company||Co-host||MBC||Left in February 2008 to serve his National Service.|
|2008||Music Bank||Himself||KBS2||Performed single, "You're My Destiny"|
|2010||Haha-Mong Show||Co-host||SBS||Alongside MC Mong|
|2010–present||Infinite Challenge||Co-host||MBC||Returned to cast in March 2010; Currently airing|
|Running Man||Co-host||SBS||Currently airing|
|2011||Music Bank||Himself||KBS2||Performed single, "Rosa"|
|2012||Haha's 19TV Mutiny||Host||MBC||Currently airing|
- 2011 LeeSsang - "Kyuksantawoo" (격산타우)
- 2013 PSY (싸이) - "Gentleman" (with other members of Infinite Challenge)
- 2014 Park Ji Yoon - "Beep"
2011 SBS Entertainment Awards: Best Entertainer Award (Variety Category)
Music Chart Wins
- Music Bank
|2008||January 18||"너는 내운명 (You Are My Destiny)"|
|2008||January 27||"너는 내운명 (You Are My Destiny)"|
- Running Man, Episodes 50 and 94. Haha mentions that he is from Germany by telling a German foreigner and the Running Man crew, respectively.
- "출연진 소개" (in Korean). Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Haha". KBS World. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- (Korean) "MC몽 하하 제롬, 'What's Up Yo' 트리오". Joy News 24. July 29, 2005. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Nonstop 3 Overview". Crunchyroll. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "The Beautiful Rhyme Diary". Amazon. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- The rating of Muhan Dojeon renewed again to its highest mark(Korean), Starnews, Retrieved on November 26, 2006
- (Korean) "너는 내 운명". Bugs!. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- (Korean) "군 입대 연기한 하하, '병역기피 아니다". OSEN. March 26, 2006. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Haha gets discharged from military service". Allkpop. Retrieved March 10, 2010.
- "HaHa admits he cried when he was in the army". 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Winners from the 2011 SBS Entertainment Awards". Allkpop. December 30, 2011. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "상꼬맹이' 하하, 유부남된다..별과 11월30일 결혼". Star News. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "HaHa and Byul welcome their newborn son into the world!". 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- (Korean) "Gaon Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
- "Funny Man HaHa's Upcoming Album + Teaser". Soompi. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "Haha". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2012-03-22.
- "Play". Youtube. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- (Korean) "7년 만이야". Bugs!. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- (Korean) "그래 나 노래 못해". Bugs!. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- (Korean) "술병". Bugs!. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "HaHa releases "You are my Destiny 2″". Allkpop. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- (Korean) "Quan Ninomarley A.K.A. Haha Reggae Wave". Bugs!. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- Lee, Nancy "Yoo Jae Suk Wins Big, Winners from 2011 SBS Entertainment Awards" CJ E&M enewsWorld. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-14