Dwarf sheet spider
|26 genera, 235 species|
The dwarf sheet spiders (family Hahniidae) are small spiders, their bodies are about 2 mm in length. They build extremely delicate webs in the form of a sheet, and unlike many spiders the web does not lead to a retreat. The silk used in these webs is so fine that they are difficult to spot unless they are coated with dew. They greatly favor locations near water or near moss, and are often found in leaf litter and detritus or on the leaves of shrubs and trees.
Hahniidae are a worldwide family. The genera of the Northern Hemisphere and Africa tend to differ in their genital structures from those of the Southern Hemisphere. Very few species have been described from south east Asia, although quite a number seems to be yet undescribed.
- Alistra Thorell, 1894 — Oceania, Philippines, Sumatra, Sri Lanka
- Amaloxenops Schiapelli & Gerschman, 1958 — Argentina
- Antistea Simon, 1898 — North America, Europe, Russia
- Asiohahnia Ovtchinnikov, 1992 — Kazakhstan, Kirgizistan
- Austrohahnia Mello-Leitão, 1942 — Argentina
- Calymmaria Chamberlin & Ivie, 1937 — Mexico to Canada
- Cryphoeca Thorell, 1870 — Palearctic
- Cryphoecina Deltshev, 1997 — Montenegro
- Cybaeolus Simon, 1884 — Chile, Argentina
- Dirksia Chamberlin & Ivie, 1942 — USA, Alaska, France
- Ethobuella Chamberlin & Ivie, 1937 — North America
- Hahnia C. L. Koch, 1841 — America, Africa, Europe, Asia
- Harmiella Brignoli, 1979 — Brazil
- Iberina Simon, 1881 — Russia, France
- Intihuatana Lehtinen, 1967 — Argentina
- Kapanga Forster, 1970 — New Zealand
- Lizarba Roth, 1967 — Brazil
- Neoantistea Gertsch, 1934 — Canada to Costa Rica, Russia, Asia
- Neoaviola Butler, 1929 — Australia
- Neocryphoeca Roth, 1970 — USA
- Neohahnia Mello-Leitão, 1917 — South America
- Pacifantistea Marusik, 2011 — Kuril Islands
- Porioides Forster, 1989 — New Zealand
- Rinawa Forster, 1970 — New Zealand
- Scotospilus Simon, 1886 — Tasmania, New Zealand, India
- Tuberta Simon, 1884 — Europe to Azerbaijan
- Willisus Roth, 1981 — USA
- Murphy & Murphy 2000: 173
- Marusik 2011: 57
- Marusik, Yuri M. (2011). "A new genus of hahniid spiders from Far East Asia (Araneae: Hahniidae)." Zootaxa 2788: 57-66.
- Murphy, Frances & Murphy, John (2000): An Introduction to the Spiders of South East Asia. Malaysian Nature Society, Kuala Lumpur.
- Platnick, Norman I. (2007): The world spider catalog, version 8.0. American Museum of Natural History.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Hahniidae|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dwarf sheet spider.|
|This spider-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|