Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Produced by||Vishal Bhardwaj
Siddharth Roy Kapur
|Written by||Basharat Peer
by William Shakespeare
Kay Kay Menon
|Music by||Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Edited by||Aarif Sheikh|
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Running time||162 minutes|
Haider is an upcoming Indian drama film directed by Vishal Bhardwaj and co-written by Bharadwaj and Basharat Peer. It is a modern-day adaptation of William Shakespeare's Hamlet, set in Kashmir. The film stars Shahid Kapoor as Haider, and Tabu essays the role of his mother who marries her brother-in-law (played by Kay Kay Menon) after her husband mysteriously disappears. The film also stars Shraddha Kapoor as Arshia, a journalist by profession and Haider's love-interest.
|Shahid Kapoor||Haider ||Prince Hamlet|
|Tabu||Ghazala, Haider's mother ||Gertrude|
|Irrfan Khan||Haider's father||King Hamlet|
|Kay Kay Menon||Haider's uncle ||Claudius|
|Shraddha Kapoor||Arshia ||Ophelia|
Initially, Bhardwaj and Kapoor were in talks of making a sequel to their blockbuster film, Kaminey. In an interview with The Times of India, Bharadwaj was quoted saying, "I had always planned to start out with Macbeth. I had read Merchant Of Venice in school but Macbeth was the first play I read as a filmmaker. Taking several creative liberties, I adapted it as Maqbool, following it up with Omkara, an adaptation of Othello. I could have wrapped up the trilogy with either King Lear or Hamlet. I opted for the latter because it had a thread of sexual conflict running through it, which is there in the other two films too." The adaptation was made to portray the political intrigue and history of Kashmir as well as the play's sexual conflicts.As per the story of the book Hamlet, an Oedipus complex exists that draws Hamlet (played by Shahid Kapoor) towards his mother (played by Tabu) that could have been interpreted both at a physical and psychological level, however Bhardwaj kept this reference subtle as the target audience was predominantly Indian and called it 'one of the aspects in this mother-son relationship.' In his previous outing of Othello's adaptation-Omkara he removed the last monologue because I felt it was too stagey but I retained the Hamlet's featured in Haider. Shahid Kapoor learnt a six-page monologue for the climatic scene where his character Haider turns mad. He put forth the delivery of that monologue in front of a crowd of 5000 listening. Just for the requirement of the scene whose filming was done for 3-4 hours, Shahid Kapoor was made completely bald.
Kapoor, along with Bharadwaj and UTV Motion Pictures, each have a 33.3% share in the film. Kapoor reportedly became a producer for the film due to his trust and belief in the film's success. The budget for the film is 37 crore (US$6.1 million), with 22 crore (US$3.6 million) going into the production of the film and 15 crore (US$2.5 million) for promotion.Dolly Ahluwalia has designed costumes for Shahid Kapoor in the film.
Principal photography began at Dal lake in November 2013.Haider was filmed at Pahalgam, Kehribal area in Anantnag, Mattan, Aishan Sahab Zaina Kadal Bridge in old Srinagar, Nishat Bagh, Dal Lake, Qazigund, Martand Sun Temple, Naseem Bagh (at Kashmir University Garden), Hazratbal and Sonamarg, all these places in the located Jammu and KashmirThe very beginning of shoot, the portrayal of Kashmir and its people in some of the Bollywood movies had left the locals and the 2014 Chief Minister of Jammu & Kashmir Omar Abdullah furious. However, the director Vishal Bhardwaj assured the state Chief Minister that the film would have nothing to harm the local sensibilities and the political aspirations.On 24 November 2013, during shooting of film, students of Kashmir University, Hazratbal disrupted the filming, objecting to the hoisting of the national flag atop a makeshift bunker. A few students objected to the shooting of a few scenes and started pro-freedom slogans, dismantling the stage. The youngsters also forced them out of the shooting location in Naseem Bagh (Kashmir University Garden) despite heavy security, claiming that they had no idea about the shoot happening on that location. Students of University raised also objection to Irrfan Khan when he was spotted smoking inside the campus.The last schedule of filming for 'Haider' began in Kashmir in January 2014.For the song "Bismil" that was shot at Sun Temple in Kashmir, Shahid Kapoor was quoted saying, "It is one of the best shot songs of my career. The location, the elements like face paint to depict war situations, have been used in 'Bismil'. Then there are 100 feet tall puppets, which I have never seen in any song before."For the choreography Bharadwaj was very keen that Shahid's character Haider doesn't have dance moves that Shahid already did in his previous films as this required the character’s angst and feelings. Bharadwaj recruited Sudesh from Norway for the choreography of this track.The shooting of the film was also halted briefly for a second time in Zainakadal in Srinagar in January 2014, when a spectator threw a firepot towards the actors.The shooting was completed by 24 February 2014.
After 41 cuts, the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) gave the film U/A certificate.The scenes that were censored were a truck load of corpses, wire being inserted inside a naked man, a shot of a bloody dead body, abusive words.Apart from this, a shot of a bare back during the song "Khul Kabhi To" was also considered offensive and censored. The Central Board of Film Certification demanded a scene where Haider (played by Shahid Kapoor) cries on seeing flames to be deleted.A confusion arose when Kumar along with an examining committee saw the film and prescribed the cuts. After the film was re-edited, instead of sending it to the revising committee for reviewing, Kumar himself watched the film again and gave it a U/A certificate.Nandini Sardesai, a member of the revising committee told The Times of India that Kumar saw Haider twice and passed it with a U/A certificate. She stated that director of the film Vishal Bhardwaj had apparently agreed to the cuts. Later, Bhardwaj clarified that the CBFC only demanded seven cuts but he himself, in order to tighten the script, gave his film 35 extra cuts.Bhardwaj added that the film being set in Kashmir and associated troubled politics of the state, he knew the film would land in controversies.
|Soundtrack album to Haider by Vishal Bhardwaj|
|Released||15 September 2014|
Studio Satya, Mumbai
The Pierce Rooms, London
Abbey Road Studios, London
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Language||Hindi, Kashmiri, Urdu|
|Vishal Bhardwaj chronology|
The original songs and score are composed by Vishal Bharadwaj. The soundtrack has nine songs which are of different genres of music. The song, "Roshe Valle" was sung live at the shooting spot by actress Tabu as it was a part of her act.Initially, Bharadwaj wanted it to be it the part of score, he included other version of the track in the album. The track's studio recording was completed in August 2014. Shraddha Kapoor has sung a Kashmiri folk song titled "Do Jahaan" along with Suresh Wadkar. The track "Aao Na" sung by Vishal Dadlani was released as a single on August 11, 2014. The composition dominates Electric guitar instrumnent with the drum kit providing background beats with upbeat rock elements.The track is a narration of protagonist who breaks his own shallows and sets out in Kashmiri valleys for seeking revenge. The track was called "musically energetic, visually it’s vengeful" with composer Vishal Daldani's voice tones ranging from mild to vociferous.The track "Bismil" sung by Sukhwinder Singh was the second single released on 20 August 2014.Firstpost called lyrcist Gulzar's lyrical work richly embellished with tantalising symbols and innuendo that reflect the story of Haider. The song was stated as Bharadwaj's interpretation of the famous play within the play in the original Hamlet.The track marks the point at which Haider (played by Shahid Kapoor) transforms from being conflicted and undecided to committed to the idea of avenging the injustice meted out to his father. At the crux, Hamlet is a young prince grappling with the knowledge that his uncle and mother have conspired to kill his father.In the song, Gulzar's lyrics, (Ik joda tha nar-maada ka, Bholi thi bulbul, nar saada tha) cinematically, the song was made different from the regular song-and-dance routine, thus the choreography more of performance art than a dance number with Shahid Kapoor's angsty expressions and staccato dance steps.The track employs heavy use of violins and oud with the tune infused with Middle Eastern musical influences while retaining a folksy sound.The song has was shot at snow-capped Martand Sun Temple, near Anantnag in Kashmir under presence of over 6,000 locals gathered.The third single "Khul Kabhi Toh" sung by Arijit Singh was released on September 8, 2014.
Shahid Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor launched the music of the film along with Vishal Bhardwaj at Radio Mirchi studios in Mumbai in mid-August 2014.The soundtrack had a digital as well as physical release on 15 September 2014.
The track listing was released on 12 September 2014.
|1.||"Aao Na"||Vishal Dadlani||04:16|
|3.||"Khul Kabhi"||Arijit Singh||06:09|
|4.||"Gulon Mein Rang Bhare"||Arijit Singh||05:16|
|5.||"Ek Aur Bismil"||Sukhwinder Singh||04:03|
|7.||"So Jao"||Alaap Majgavkar, Sourabh Joshi, Mayukh Sarkar, Muzamil Bhawani, Bashir Bhawani, Bashir Lone||02:06|
|8.||"Do Jahaan"||Suresh Wadkar, Shraddha Kapoor||04:25|
|9.||"Aaj Ke Naam"||Rekha Bhardwaj||04:15|
- Haider movie First look
- Bollywood Hungama (2014-01-22). "Kay Kay Menon to play negative role in Haider". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "‘Haider’: Shahid, Shraddha display their chemistry". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Muzaffar Raina (2013-11-25). "Protests hit Haider shoot on Valley campus". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "I have had the longest and the shortest hair in Haider: Shahid Kapoor". The Times of India. 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Kay Kay Menon to play Shahid Kapoor’s evil uncle in ‘Haider’". The Indian Express. 2014-01-23. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor to shoot final sequence of Haider". Hindustan Times. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Monday, Jul 21, 2014. "Shahid Kapoor to romance 'mother' Tabu in 'Haider'". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Tabu: I’m completely engaged in Haider". The Indian Express. 2014-01-24. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Bollywood Hungama (2014-01-08). "Irrfan Khan to play pivotal role in Haider". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "On the sets of Haider". Bollywood Hungama. 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Karnad, Manash. "Shahid Kapoor is back in 'Kaminey 2'". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Bhattacharya, Roshmila. "I've decided to dedicate Haider to my father". Pune Mirror. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Bhattacharya, Roshmila. "Vishal Bhardwaj: I picked Hamlet for its sexual conflict". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Tarannum, Asira. "Shahid Kapoor turns producer". Mid-Day. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Shahid Kapoor's 'Haider' faces protests, shooting on halt". The Times of India. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor begins shooting for 'Haider' in Kashmir". IBN Live. PTI.
- Six reasons we are waiting to watch Haider
- "Shraddha plays a fearless journo in Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Haider'". The Times of India. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Ahmed Ali Fayyaz (2013-11-25). "Kashmir University students disrupt shooting of Vishal Bhardwaj film". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor returning to Kashmir to finish 'Haider'". DNA India. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Bollywood Hungama (2013-11-25). "Haider shoot in Jammu and Kashmir disrupted". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor's 'Haider' faces protests, shooting on halt". November 25, 2013. The Times of India. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- "Haider: Kashmiris get to see Shahid Kapoor's shooting live in Pahalgam". The Times of India. 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Haider cast finally returns to Kashmir to complete shooting". India Today. 2014-01-27. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Srinagar, Jan 27, 2014, (PTI) (2014-01-27). "Cast returns to Kashmir to complete 'Haider' shooting". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Tabu, Shraddha shoot for ‘Haider’ in Kashmir". The Indian Express. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Haider song Bismil was challenging for Shahid The Hindu Retrieved. 21 August 2014
- "Coal thrown at Shahid Kapoor in Srinagar?". The Times of India. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Kashmir Lawmaker Meets ‘Haider’ Crew, Apologizes". Free Press Kashmir. 2014-02-01. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Haider: Irrfan unfazed by kangri attack in Kashmir - The Times of India". The Times of India. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Irrfan Khan: Kashmir attack didn't make me fearful". NDTV. 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor wraps up 'Haider' just in time". Mid-day.com. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "Shahid Kapoor wraps up ‘Haider’ shoot in Kashmir". The Indian Express. 2014-02-24. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- "After 41 cuts, Censor Board gives Haider a U/A certificate". Firstpost. 2014-09-08. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- Tabu turns singer for Haider Mumbai Mirror Retrieved. 21 August 2014
- Aao na / Rocking beats
- Haider 'Aao Na' song review: Shahid's rancorous act and boisterous music fit the bill
- Watch Bismil: Angsty Shahid and Arabic music make this Haider song a treat Firstpost Retrieved. September 9, 2014
- Watch: Shahid and Shraddha get intimate in 'Khul Kabhi Toh' teaser Deccan Chronicle Retrieved. September 9, 2014
- Shahid, Shraddha launch music of 'Haider' in Mumbai Yahoo!. Retrieved. 21 August 2014
- Haider Album- by Vishal Bhardwaj Retrieved. 14 September 2014