Location of Haidian District in Beijing
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Township-level divisions||22 subdistricts
|• Total||431 km2 (166 sq mi)|
|• Density||5,200/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Haidian District (simplified Chinese: 海淀区 (officially), 海甸区 (alternatively); traditional Chinese: 海淀區/海甸區; pinyin: Hǎidiàn Qū) is a suburban district of the municipality of Beijing. It lies towards the northwestern part of the urban core.
It is 431 square km in area, making it the second-largest district in urban Beijing (after Chaoyang), and is home to 2,240,124 inhabitants (2000 Census); however, in comparison to other districts, a higher percentage of its inhabitants do not have the governmental residential certificates for long-term residence, because Haidian District is where most universities are located and therefore many[quantify] of its inhabitants are college students. Its postal code is 100080.
Since the year 1992, Haidian District has signed official papers and established Sister City relationship with 14 cities and districts from 10 countries of 4 continents. Some sister cities are shown as followed:
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States (8/02/2008)
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States (15/04/1998)
- Olympia, Peloponnesus, Greece (28/02/2008)
- Groningen, Holland (19/10/2004)
- Bures-sur-Yvette, Massy, Palaiseau, in Paris Region, France (04/10/1994)
The administrative division of the district was reported as follows:
- 22 jiedao (subdistricts) of the city proper of Beijing
- 5 towns
- 2 townships in more rural outlying areas (both townships are suburbs of the city proper of Beijing)
- Wanshou Road Subdistrict (万寿路街道), Yongding Road Subdistrict (永定路街道), Yangfangdian Subdistrict (羊坊店街道), Ganjiakou Subdistrict (甘家口街道), Balizhuang Subdistrict (八里庄街道), Zizhuyuan Subdistrict (紫竹院街道), Beixiaguan Subdistrict (北下关街道), Beitaipingzhuang Subdistrict (北太平庄街道), Xueyuan Road Subdistrict (学院路街道), Zhongguancun Subdistrict (中关村街道), Haidian Subdistrict (海淀街道), Qinglongqiao Subdistrict (青龙桥街道), Qinghuayuan Subdistrict (清华园街道), Yanyuan Subdistrict (燕园街道), Xiangshan Subdistrict (香山街道), Qinghe Subdistrict (清河街道), Huayuan Road Subdistrict (花园路街道), Xisanqi Subdistrict (西三旗街道), Malianwa Subdistrict (马连洼街道), Tiancun Road Subdistrict (田村路街道), Shangdi Subdistrict (上地街道), Shuguang Subdistrict (曙光街道)
- Wanliu (万柳地区 / 海淀镇), Dongsheng (东升地区 / 东升镇), Wenquan (温泉地区 / 温泉镇), Sijiqing (四季青地区 / 四季青镇), Xibeiwang (西北旺地区 / 西北旺镇), Sujiatuo (苏家坨地区 / 苏家坨镇), Shangzhuang (上庄地区 / 上庄镇)
Haidian was originally a village outside of Beijing's Inner City. It was first built in the Yuan Dynasty and became one of the eight major business areas of the capital during the Qing Dynasty and was the seat of such old shops as Lotus White, Quanjude and Hongbin House. The famed Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace, two grand imperial gardens are also among its reputed features. It became a university district after the building of the Tsinghua University and Yenching University campus in the early twentieth century. It is mentioned in Lao She's novel Camel Xiangzi as an academic village for students. After the foundation of the People's Republic, it was deliberately developed as a university area, with many of the Yan'an institutions moving there. It officially became an administrative district in June 1954. Since the reform and opening up, it has become the centre of China's IT industry. In the words of Time magazine:
|“||Like Paris' Champs Elysées or New York's Broadway, Haidian is a celebration of a national myth: China's ability to change itself and become, once again, great among nations.||”|
- Baidu has its headquarters in the Baidu Campus.
- Sohu has its headquarters in the Sohu.com Internet Plaza.
- Sinosteel's headquarters are in the Sinosteel Plaza (simplified Chinese: 中钢国际广场; traditional Chinese: 中鋼國際廣場; pinyin: Zhōnggāng Guójì Guǎngchǎng) in Haidian District.
- Youku has its headquarters on the fifth floor of Sinosteel Plaza.
- Wumart has its headquarters in the Wumart Commercial Building (simplified Chinese: 物美商业大厦; traditional Chinese: 物美商業大廈; pinyin: Wù Měi Shāngyè Dàshà) in Haidian District.
- aigo's head office is in the Ideal Plaza (simplified Chinese: 理想国际大厦; traditional Chinese: 理想國際大廈; pinyin: Lǐxiǎng Guójì Dàshà) in the Haidian District.
- China Postal Airlines has its headquarters on the 11th through 14th floors of the Ziyu Office Building (simplified Chinese: 紫玉写字楼; traditional Chinese: 紫玉 寫字樓; pinyin: Zǐyù Xiězìlóu) in Haidian District.
- The Beijing Civil Aircraft Technlology Research Center of COMAC (北京民用飞机技术研究中心) has its offices on the 8th floor of the Beijing Olympic Building (S: 北京奥运大厦, T: 北京奧運大廈, P: Běijīng Àoyùn Dàshà) in Haidian District.
Institutions of higher education in Haidian include:
- Peking University
- Tsinghua University
- Renmin University of China
- Beijing Normal University
- Minzu University of China (formerly Central University for Nationalities)
- Beijing Film Academy
- Beihang University (formerly Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- Beijing Institute of Technology
- Beijing Language and Culture University
- China University of Geosciences Beijing
- China University of Political Science and Law
- Capital Normal University
Primary and secondary education
The Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (simplified Chinese: 北京市教育委员会; traditional Chinese: 北京市教育委員會; pinyin: Běijīng Shì Jiàoyùwěiyuánhuì), the local education authority, has its headquarters in the Beijing Olympic Building.
Institutions of secondary education include:
Important areas in Haidian District
- Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan)
- Summer Palace
- Fragrant Hills (Xiangshan or Jingyi Palace)
- Beijing Botanical Garden(Beijing Zhiwuyuan)
- Jude Spring Hill(Jingming Palace)
- Haidian Park
- Purple Bamboo Park (Zizhuyuan)
- Yuyuantan Park
- Diaoyutai State Guesthouse
- Microsoft Research Asia
- Baidu headquarters
- Sinosteel Plaza
- Haidian Christian Church
- Beijing Organizing Committee of Olympic Games headquartered
Haidian's Technology hubs
- Harry's World Atlas
- University of Texas Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection: A portion of "Originalkarte der Ebene von Peking und des Gebirkslandes im Westen und Norden der Capitale" from Mittheilungen aus Justus Perthes' Geographischer Anstalt uber Wichtige Neue Erforschungen auf dem Gesammtgebiete der Geographie von Dr. A. Petermann. Erganzungsband 10, 1876.
- Beijing Haidian District People's Government (7 December 2007), Special Shopping Areas in Haidian District. Accessed 19 October 2008. NB: this page only loads correctly in Internet Explorer.
- Tang Yangkai (2008). "Haidian District::Beijing's 'Smart Reservoir'". Beijing Review (7).
- Joshua Cooper Ramo (27 September 1999). "HAIDIAN DISTRICT: China's Silicon Valley, 1999". Time 154 (12). Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Wang, Wenfei, Shangyi Zhou, and C. Cindy Fan. "Growth and Decline of Muslim Hui Enclaves in Beijing" (Archive). Eurasian Geography and Economics, 2002, 43, No. 2, pp. 104-122. Cited page: p. 117.
- "IR Contacts." Baidu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Address: Baidu Campus, No. 10, Shangdi 10th Street, Haidian District, Beijing 100085 People's Republic of China."
- "Contact Us." Sohu. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Headquarter Office Sohu.com Internet Plaza, No.1 Park, Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100084, PRC ."
- "Sohu.com." CNN Money. Retrieved on 19 August 2009.
- "Contact Us." Sinosteel. Retrieved on 18 November 2012. "Sinosteel Plaza,8 Haidian St.,Beijing, P.R.China" - See map and directions in English - Chinese: "中国北京海淀区海淀大街8号中钢国际广场" - See map and directions in Chinese
- "版权声明." Youku. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "北京市海淀区海淀大街8号中钢国际大厦5层"
- "Contact Us." Youku. Retrieved on 27 December 2010. "Beijing 5th Floor, Sinosteel Plaza, 8 Haidian Dajie, Haidian District, Beijing, 100080, China."
- "Interim Report 2011." (Archive) Wumart. Retrieved on 12 October 2012. "ADDRESS OF HEAD OFFICE Wumart Commercial Building 158-1 West 4th Ring North Road Haidian District Beijing P. R. China" and "LEGAL ADDRESS IN CHINA Room 5610 1 Shixingdong Street Badachu HighTech Park District Shijingshan District Beijing The PRC"
- "Contact Us." aigo. Retrieved on July 25, 2013. "aigo Digital Technology Co., Ltd. Add: 10-11th Floor, Ideal Plaza, No.58, West Road, North 4th Ring Road, Beijing, 100080, China" Chinese address: "北京市北四环西路58号理想国际大厦11层"
- "联系我们." China Postal Airlines. Retrieved on 18 November 2012. "北京海淀区增光路55号紫玉写字楼11-14层"
- "Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, Ltd." (Archive) COMAC. Retrieved on January 10, 2014.
- "联系我们" (Contact Us) (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "北京市教育委员会地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦"
- Home page (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "地址：海淀区北四环中路267号北京奥运大厦 邮政编码：100083"