||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
March 10, 1973 |
|Genres||Arabic pop, world|
2007–present (Actress)2008-present (Singer)
Haifa Wehbe (Arabic: هيفا وهبي or هيفاء وهبي Lebanese pronunciation: [ˈhajfa ˈwehbe]) is a Lebanese singer and actress, rose to fame in the Arab world as runner up in Miss Lebanon and later through the release of her debut album Houwa El-Zaman (Arabic: هو الزمن) in 2002. She is known through her music for her beauty, showmanship, sex appeal, provocative mannerisms and image. She has released four studio albums and made her acting debut in 2008 Pepsi-produced film Sea of Stars. Wehbe is one of the most notable singers in the Arab World and is considered one of the most successful Lebanese singers. In 2006, she was on People Magazine's 50 most beautiful people list.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Criticism and controversy
- 5 Political views
- 6 Image
- 7 Discography
- 8 Concert Tours
- 9 Filmography
- 10 Awards
- 11 References
- 12 Further reading
- 13 External links
Wehbe was born in Mahrouna, a small farming town in Lebanon. Her Lebanese father Nadim Antar and an Egyptian mother from Cairo, to a Shia Muslim family. Wehbe won the title of Miss South Lebanon at the age of sixteen and was a runner-up at the Miss Lebanon competition.
Baddi Aech and television career (2004–2007)
Wehbe released her second studio album Baddi Aech (Arabic: بدي عيش, English: "I Want to Live") in early 2005, which lived up to expectations due to the success of its lead single "Ya Hayat Albi." Released after the assassination of Lebanese politician Rafik Hariri, the title single of the album is about "freedom, considered to be among the most basic of human rights". Her follow-up single became her biggest hit to date, "Aana Haifa" (Arabic: أنا هيفاء, English: "I Am Haifa"), which became her novelty song. In 2006 she released a follow up single "Bus al-Wawa" (Arabic: بوس الواوا, English: "Kiss the booboo"), the song was later used in a Pepsi advertisement. The song was also voted Song of the Year in 2006 by Radio Scope and Sawt Al Musika.
In July 2005, Wehbe, along with 14 others from the Arab world, appeared on the live pan-Arab reality series Al-Wadi (Arabic: الوادي, English: The Farm).
Film career beginnings and Habibi Aana (2008–2009)
On July 4, 2008, Wehbe released her third studio album Habibi Aana (Arabic: حبيبي أنا, English: "My Love") which contains 15 songs including the lead single "Moush Adra Estana". In the Middle East album sales struggled due to Haifa's lack of promotion as she was concentrating more on her acting and film career.
In 2009 Wehbe starred in Dokkan Shehata, a high-grossing Egyptian drama film. The film was produced by Khaled Youssef. It was released in June 2009 and immediately became a huge success in the Middle East whilst gaining tremendous publicity.
Babe Haifa (2010)
Wehbe was scheduled to work on the Egyptian movie Leilet El-Baby Doll, but canceled due to her overbooked schedule. The singer will be starring in another movie with producer Muhammad Al Sabki scheduled for sometime in 2011.
Wehbe was working on her fifth studio album, “Bukra Bafarjeek”. In September 2011 Al Bawaba reported that Wehbe was threatening to leave her label Rotana "for neglecting her and not paying any attention to her work".
On 8 May 2012 Release her album "M.J.K” ("Miss Universe" English translation).
Ghala Ghala (2013)
During summer 2013, Haifa released her new song "Ghala Ghala", which remained on the Top Arab Song Chart for weeks. Haifa revealed in an interview that she dedicates her song to her new love named Ahmad, a Lebanese businessman living in Saudi Arabia, but did not revealed his identity.
Wehbe is a victim of parental alienation. In the 1990s, she married her cousin Nasr Fayyad when she was 18 and traveled with him to Nigeria where he worked. During her pregnancy, she returned to Lebanon and separated from her now ex-husband quoting marital problems. She had a daughter whose name is Zeinab Fayyad who also was a victim of parental alienation until she became an adult and continued to refuse to have any contact with her mother, even after she herself got married to Shaaban Reda Fawaz and had a child. Wehbe's ex-husband and his mother have not allowed Wehbe any contact with Zainab. In some communities in Lebanon, the father gets automatic full custody of the children.
Wehbe has had no contact with her daughter since Zainab was one or two years old. Understandably, Wehbe tried to deny that she has ever had a daughter, but that was rebutted during her interview with Tony Khalifeh.
In 2005, Wehbe announced her engagement to a Saudi businessman Tariq Al-Jaffali. After only a few weeks, she and her fiancé decided to split for personal reasons and family issues.
On June 25, 2007, Wehbe survived an accident while filming a music video for the song "Hasa Ma Bena" in Lebanon. In the video, a single engine airplane was to chase Wehbe as she drove a car. However, the airplane inadvertently hit the car, taking off the front windshield of the convertible she was driving. Despite the severity of the accident, Wehbe suffered only minor cuts and bruises.
Wehbe married Egyptian businessman Ahmad Abu Husheima on April 24, 2009 in Beirut. Among the guests at the wedding party were singer Anastacia, Kim Kardashian, Diddy, Googoosh, Samar Ibrahim, Nawal Al Zoghbi, Najwa Karam, Ragheb Alama, and Sherine.
It was announced that Wehbe and Abu Husheima had split in November 2012.
Criticism and controversy
Haifa is known for her enmity and rivalry with Lebanese singer Elissa. In 2009 Haifa compared the two singers to 'cars' by saying that Elissa is an 'old car' while she is a 'new' one. This statement was highly publicised and talked about in the media and press, causing anger between fans. Elissa refused to reply and just stated carelessly: "When someone compares me to a car, is there anything left for me to say?". This enmity stopped when Nishan had Elissa live on his show and called Haifa. Both Elissa and Haifa were surprised, but assured people that there are no problems or issues between the two singers.
Further controversy started when Haifa claimed that Elissa's perfume, Elle D'Elissa, was supposed to be hers, but Elissa didn't reply and said that the perfume is hers and only hers yet again, Haifa and Elissa announced the love and peace between them. During the Murex d'Or 2010, after Haifa had finished her performance and accepted her award, she said that Lebanon is a country of love and that all Lebanese people love and respect each other. And to prove to people that what she was saying was true, she said "There's no problem with Elissa, and this is the proof to all people," she shook hands with Elissa and congratulated her on her success.
Allegations of racism
In 2009, lyrics in one of Wehbe song's Baba Fein (from her unreleased 2010 kids album) seemed to refer to Nubians as "monkeys". Exact translation: "Where is my teddy bear and the Nubian monkey?". Black Egyptians accused the artist of racism and singing a song that fueled racism and discrimination against them. In 2010 a lawsuit filed against Wehbe was dropped.
Another incident occurred after the 2009 Egypt–Algeria World Cup dispute, adding to the diplomatic tension between the two countries. Wehbe went on to make statements that she would not be performing in Algeria anytime soon, because Algerians "...wouldn't understand her music". Algerian officials and many Algerians responded to Wehbe's statements stating she would not be welcome in Algeria anyway. Algeria's cultural minister stated that Wehbe would be banned from performing in Algeria for insulting Algeria and the Algerian people regardless of whether she apologizes.
Wehbe went on to explain her initial comments to Lebanese host Tony Khalife, saying that she didn't mean to offend Algerians or Algeria as a country but was condemning the actions of a few Algerians during the match. She then added saying: "I couldn’t help it but cry when I saw the blood of an Egyptian woman on the stadium!".
During the 2006 Israel-Lebanon war, she left her home, in Verdun, Beirut and moved to Egypt for the duration of the conflict. In a concert in the Lebanese town of Jounieh, Wehbe congratulated Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah for his stand against Israel during the war. In a further interview with Reuters, Wehbe stated that Israel attacked Lebanese civilians intentionally while Hezbollah attacked only military targets:
"I believe the whole world knows who started this war and who aggressed on whose land. There isn't a war that starts from nothing and he who begins is the unjust one."
Wehbe also refused to perform at any concert during the 34 days of the war including fundraisers, saying that there were more ways than one to show support for Lebanon.
Wehbe has also urged fans to support Japanese victims of the Tsunami.
2007 Lebanon elections and concert in Beirut
Wehbe wore a shirt with the face of President Michel Suleiman during her performance at the election celebrations in downtown Beirut.
Lebanese newspapers said scores went onstage when Haifa appeared, despite attempts by police to prevent them from reaching the pop star. She also sang the Fairuz classic "Ya Hawa Beirut" ("Oh my love Beirut"), which is a nostalgic song written during the Lebanese Civil War that reminisces on the "Glorious Days" of Lebanon prior to 1975.
Some in the more conservative Arab countries deem her revealing outfits scandalous. One Bahraini member of parliament called her a sexual singer who spoke with her body, not her voice. Wehbe said she was aware of the efforts to ban her from performing at the concert but had chosen to ignore their attempts to silence her.
"I am a performer and not a politician," Haifa said. "I know my fans want me I am there for them. I am not concerned with the other issues."
In April 2008, the Islamist-dominated parliament of Bahrain passed a motion urging the government to ban Haifa Wehbe's show in the country. As a result of the motion, Wehbe performed in Bahrain with more modest dress, wearing a long green gown with a low V-neckline during the performance.
- Houwa Al Zaman (2002)
- Baddi Aech (2005)
- Farachit Al Waddi (2007)
- Habibi Ana (2008)
- Baby Haifa (2010)
- Malikat Jamal Al Kawn (2012)
- "El Layli"
- "El Tabeea"
- "Bint Al Waddi"
- "Ana Andi Baghbaghan"
- "Ana Adrra Aich"
- "Eda Eda"
- "Enta Tanni"
- "80 Million Ahsass "
- "Yama Layali"(Remix Version)"
- "Yama Layali"
- "Ya Magnon"
- "Samanne"(Singles Version)"
- "Farhana"(Your Face Sounds Familiar 2014)
- Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
- November 18- Al Massa Hotel, Cairo
- November 17- Movempic Hotel, Beirut, Lebanon
- July 31 – Movempic Hotel, Beirut, Lebanon
- July 24 – Chouf, Lebanon
- July 22 – Batroun, Lebanon
- July 16–19 – Casablanca, Morocco
- July 4 – PRIVATE CONCERT, Monaco
- July 2 – Zahle Festival, Zahle, Lebanon
- May 8 – Phoenicia Hotel, Beirut
- March 13 – Houston, Texas
- Sea of Stars (produced by Pepsi) – released July, 2008
- Dokkan Shehata – June 2009
- Halawet Rouh – 8 of April 2014 
- Black Electronic Man - October 2014 (Sonia speak role, Arabic dub)
- Al Wadi (2005) – reality television show based on the French reality show La Ferme Célébrités.
- Your Face Sounds Familia (2014)
- Kalam Ala Waraa' (2014) - 29 of Jun of 2014(Ramadan 2014)
- 2002: The "Golden Lion" Award in Egypt.
- 2004: Best Young Female Arab singer in Egypt.
- 2005: The Oscar for "ninashnash" for her song Baddi Eesh from her second album.
- 2005: The "Murex d'Or" award with the title "Best Artist of the Year".
- 2006: The "Murex d'Or" award with the title "Best Artist of the Year".
- 2009: The "Murex d'Or" award with title "Most Popular Lebanese Singer"
- 2010: The "Murex d'Or" award with the title "Best singer actress"
- 2010: The "ART" Award for her role in her first Egyptian Film "Dokkan Shehata"
- 2011: World's Most Desirable Woman List No. 49 Rank
- 2011: Most beautiful Arabian model cum actress list Ranked #2
- 2011: Murex d'Or best song award, for "Yama Layaly."
- Haifa Wehbe. lebanonatlas.com
- Haifa Wehbe Biography.
- "åíÝÇÁ æåÈí ÊËíÑ ÒæÈÚÉ Ýí ÇáÎáíÌ". BBC News. May 1, 2008.
- "Lebanese Pop Star Haifa Wehbe Sides With Hezbollah". Nysun.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Harrison, Frances (2008-04-30). Lebanese singer causes Gulf storm. BBC.
- Braude, Joseph. Radar.com. Rock the Casbah
- "www.haifawehbe.com". Haifa Wehbe. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Tune into talent". Khaleej Times. 29 December 2005. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- تسرق الأضواء من هيفاء.. وتجدد لروتانا MBC
- "Vendetta album". Fr.7digital. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Haifa Wahbi threatens to leave 'Rotana'". Al Bawaba. 25 September 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Haifa Wehbe in Serious Car Accident. arabia.msn.com
- Arab pop star Haifa Wehbe gets married. AFP via kcrg.com (2009-04-24)
- "Kim Kardashian Arrives in Beirut". BuzzyWorth (Los Angeles). April 23, 2009.
- Elissa: Haifa Wehbe Is The Prettiest On The Scene!. Wikeez.com (2010-01-18). Retrieved on 2012-12-22.
- About Elissa. elissalovers.net
- Shenker, Jack (2009-11-17). "Nubian fury at 'monkey' lyric of Arab pop star Haifa Wehbe". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Singer Haifa Wehbe offends with 'Nubian monkeys' lyric". The Daily Telegraph (London). 2009-11-18.
- Shenker, Jack (2009-11-21). "Lebanese diva's lyrics hit sour note". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Haifa Wehbe: Unwelcome in Algeria". The Majlis. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- لخضر بن تركي للشروق :مهرجانات الجزائر مستمرة بدونكم.. وهيفاء وهبي لن ترى الجزائر حتى إن تابت. echoroukonline.com (2009-12-17)
- "Haifa Wehbe To Tony Khalife: I Have Nothing Against Algeria!". Wikeez.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Hezbollah chief wins unlikely fan in pop diva".
- Raissa (2006-11-06). "Haifa Congratulates Hassan Nassrallah". Waleg.Com. Retrieved 2007-12-23.
- [dead link]
- "Haifa Steals Limelight at Beirut Concert – Naharnet Newsdesk". Naharnet.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Haifa Wehbe. Askmen.com.
- "Haifa Covers Up". LB: Yalibnan.com. 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "middle east news information::Haifa Wahbi number one Young Female Arab Singer". Albawaba.com. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "www.waleg.com". waleg.com. 2009-06-25. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Asian Models Faces Haifa Wehbe Is The Only Arabian Model,Singer Cum Dancer Has Seen In The Italian TV channel Rai Uno. Networkedblogs.com. Retrieved on 2012-12-22.
- "Arab stars receive top honors at Murex d’Or Awards". Daily Star (Jounieh). 2011-06-25. Retrieved 2011-06-30. "Arab pop superstar Haifa Wehbe won best Arabic song for 'Yama Layaly.'"