Haines Borough, Alaska
|Haines Borough, Alaska|
Location in the state of Alaska
Alaska's location in the U.S.
|Founded||29 August 1968|
|Seat||None (Consolidated city and borough)|
|• Total||2,344 sq mi (6,071 km2)|
|• Water||382 sq mi (989 km2), 14.02%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Alaska: UTC-9/-8|
The borough has a total area of 2,726 square miles (7,060.3 km2), of which 2,344 square miles (6,070.9 km2) is land and 382 square miles (989.4 km2) (14.02%) is water.
Adjacent boroughs and census areas
- Municipality of Skagway Borough, Alaska – northeast
- Juneau City and Borough, Alaska – southeast
- Hoonah-Angoon Census Area, Alaska – south, west
- Stikine Region, British Columbia – northwest, east
||Stikine Region, British Columbia, Canada||Municipality of Skagway Borough|
|Hoonah-Angoon Census Area||Stikine Region, British Columbia, Canada|
|Hoonah-Angoon Census Area||Juneau City and Borough|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,392 people, 991 households, and 654 families residing in the borough. The population density was 0.88 people per square mile (0,34/km²). There were 1,419 housing units at an average density of 0.52 per square mile (0,20/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 82.53% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 11.50% Native American, 0.71% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.42% from other races, and 4.64% from two or more races. 1.38% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 991 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.00% were married couples living together, 7.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.00% were non-families. 27.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the borough the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 5.30% from 18 to 24, 28.20% from 25 to 44, 30.40% from 45 to 64, and 10.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 102.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.10 males.
Items of interest
Around November of each year, eagles descend en masse to feast on one of the salmon runs. Many photographers come to attain easily-accessible photos of eagles.
The borough's 2002 consolidation eliminated its sole remaining incorporated city, Haines, which became a census-designated place (CDP). Following are the CDPs located within the borough:
- List of airports in the Haines Borough
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Haines Borough, Alaska
- "Alaska: Individual County Chronologies". Newberry Library. 2009. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.