Haircut One Hundred
|Haircut One Hundred|
Haircut One Hundred live at the indigO2 (2011)
|Also known as||Haircut 100|
|Origin||England, United Kingdom|
|Past members||Nick Heyward
Haircut One Hundred are a British pop group formed in 1980 by Nick Heyward. The band had four UK Top 10 hit singles between 1981 and 1982, including "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)" and "Love Plus One".
Formed from a band called Moving England, Nick Heyward and Les Nemes met guitarist Graham Jones to form a new band, Haircut One Hundred. Joined by drummer Pat Hunt and manager Karl Adams the band recorded some demos. Phil Smith played saxophone on the session and he joined the group, followed by Marc Fox.
The group signed to a recording contract with Arista Records. They entered Chalk Farm’s Roundhouse studios to record their debut single "Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)", which became their first hit single. The single reached number 4 in the UK Singles Chart, and saw them make their first appearance on BBC Television's Top of the Pops.
For the recording of their debut album, Blair Cunningham replaced Pat Hunt on drums. Their second single was "Love Plus One", giving the band their second UK Top 10 hit, shortly followed by the release of their debut album, Pelican West, which reached number 2 in the UK Albums Chart.
Heyward became psychologically unwell, and Mark Fox took over vocal duties, with the band as songwriters. Heyward departed at the end of 1982 after, in effect, being sacked. Their follow-up album, Paint and Paint, was released in 1984 but the momentum was lost and the album was not a commercial success. The band split up soon after.
In 2009, they rekindled their friendship via Facebook, and Heyward invited them to perform at one of his solo gigs. The band then played London's indigO2 on 28 January 2011, performing Pelican West in its entirety, and it was recorded as a live double album.
- Nick Heyward - born Nicholas Heyward, 20 May 1961, Beckenham, Kent - vocals, guitar.
- Les Nemes - born Leslie Nemes, 5 December 1960, Croydon, Surrey - bass.
- Graham Jones - born 8 July 1961, Bridlington, East Yorkshire - guitar
- Patrick David Hunt - Shaftesbury, Dorset - drums (left before first album was completed)
- Phil Smith - born 1 May 1959, Redbridge, Essex - saxophone
- Marc Fox - born 13 February 1958 - Percussion, vocals
- Blair Cunningham - born 11 October 1957, Harlem, New York - drums
|Year||Song||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|1981||"Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)"||4||32||-||-||-|
|1982||"Love Plus One"||3||22||37||4||3|
|1984||"Too Up, Two Down"||-||-||-||-||-|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|1984||Paint and Paint
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 239. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Andrew Williams, ”Nick Heyward: Facebook is the reason Haircut One Hundred are reuniting”, Metro, 26 January 2011". Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Roberts, David (1998). Guinness Rockopedia (1st ed.). London: Guinness Publishing Ltd. p. 183. ISBN 0-85112-072-5.
- "Chart Stats - Haircut 100". theofficialcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- "Chart Stats - Haircut 100". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- "Chart Stats - Haircut 100". billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- "Certified Awards Search". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved on 25 September 2011. Note: User needs to enter "Haircut 100" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "The World's Music Charts (Songs from the Year 1982)". Retrieved 5th February 2013.
- "Chart Stats - Haircut 100". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-25.