Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University
|Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University (HSTU)|
|হাজী মোহাম্মদ দানেশ বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Established||11 September, 1999|
|Chancellor||Md. Abdul Hamid, Honorable President|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Md. Ruhul Amin|
|Location||Dinajpur District, Bangladesh|
- 1 History
- 2 Hajee Mohammad Danesh
- 3 Academics
- 4 Faculties
- 5 Features About Faculties
- 6 Institute
- 7 Student life
- 8 Library
- 9 Medical centre
- 10 External links
Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University was established as an Agricultural Extension Training Institute (AETI) to award a three-year diploma in agriculture. The AETI was later upgraded to Hajee Mohammad Danesh Agricultural College in 1988 having an affiliation from the Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh. Then the college was upgraded to the status of a university renaming it as Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University on 11 September 1999.
Hajee Mohammad Danesh
Hajee Mohammad Danesh (1900-1986) was a peasant leader and politician. He was born in Sultanpur village in Dinajpur district. Having obtained his M.A. in History from Aligarh Muslim University in 1931 and B.L. degree in 1932. In the 1930s, Danesh became active in the communist organisations of Bengal, especially the Bengal provincial organisation of the Communist Party of India. He was arrested twice in 1938 by the government of Bengal for his participation in the Tebhaga movement, an agitation in northern Bengal against zamindars landlords for landless peasants and share-croppers who sought a greater share of the yield, most of which was surrendered to the zamindars. Danesh was one of the few Muslim communist leaders of the struggle, and worked to mobilise the Muslim peasantry in favor of the movement. In 1945, he joined the All India Muslim League, but was later expelled for his participation in the continuing Tebagha movement, and re-arrested by the Bengal government in 1946.After the partition of India and Bengal in 1947, Danesh remained in his home district of Dinajpur, which fell in Muslim-majority East Bengal, which became part of the newly created Muslim state of Pakistan. He died in Dhaka on 28 June 1986.
The university offers twelve under-graduagte degrees under seven faculties along with several post-graduate and doctoral courses. These are
- B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- B.Sc. in Food and Process Engineering (FPE)
- B.Sc. in Telecommunication and Electronic Engineering (TEE)
- B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- B.Sc. in Agricultural and Bio-resources Engineering (ABE)
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- B.Sc.(Hons.) in Agriculture
- B.Sc.(Hons.) in Fisheries
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- B.Sc.(Hons.) in Agriculture and Argi-Business (AAB)
- B.A (Hons.) in English
- Masters (M.S / MBA)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
There are seven faculties in HSTU with 39 departments:
Faculty of Engineering:
- Department of Agricultural & Industrial Engineering (AIE)
- Department of Food Engineering & Technology (FET)
- Department of Food Processing & Preservation (FPP)
- Department of Food Science & Nutrition (FSN)
- Department of Architecture
Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering:
- Department of Telecommunication and Electronic Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering & Networking
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Department of Computer & Information Technology
- Department of Social Science & Language
- Department of Mathematics & Physics
- Department of English
Faculty of Business Studies:
- Department of Accounting & Information System
- Department of Economics
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Finance and Banking
Faculty of Agriculture:
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Agro-forestry
- Department of Animal Husbandry
- Department of Agricultural Extension
- Department of Agricultural Chemistry and Bio-chemistry
- Department of Crop Botany
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Genetics & Plant Breeding
- Department of Horticulture
- Department of Plant Pathology
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Statistics
Faculty of Fisheries:
- Department of Fisheries Biology & Genetics
- Department of Fisheries Management
- Department of Fisheries Technology
- Department of Aquaculture
Faculty of Veterinary & Animal Science:
- Department of Anatomy and Histology
- Department of Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pathology and Parasitology
- Department of Physiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Department of General Animal Science and Nutrition
- Department of genetics and Animal breeding
- Department of Dairy and Poultry Science
Faculty Of Post Graduate Studies
Features About Faculties
Faculty of Engineering
The prime objective of the Engineering faculty is to produce skilled engineer in several discipline.
- B.Sc. in Food & Process Engineering (FPE).
- B.Sc. in Agricultural and Bio-resources Engineering (ABE).
- B.Sc. in Architecture
Beside this M.S Program has been started since 2010 under the Faculty of Post Graduate Studies. The programs are:
- M.S in Food Engineering and Technology.
- M.S in Food Processing and Preservation.
In future Masters degree will be offered in:
- M.S in Agricultural and Industrial Engineering
- M.S in Food Science and Nutrition
Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering
The prime objective of the Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) Faculty at HSTU is to produce graduates skilled in the field of Computer Science, Electronic Engineering and Telecommunication.
- B.Sc.in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE).
- B.Sc.in Telecommunication and Electronics Engineering (TEE)
- B.Sc.in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- B.Sc.(Hons) in English
Faculty of Business Studies
The Faculty of Business Studies was established in 2004 with the prime objective of producing graduates with a knowledge of marketing, business management, finance and business administration.
- Degree offered
- Bachelor of Business Administration (major in level-4)
- BBA(major in accounting)
- BBA(major in marketing)
- BBA(major in management)
- BBA(major in finance& banking)
Faculty Of Agriculture
This was the first faculty at the inception of the university. HSTU is committed to produce graduates for the agricultural development of the country.
- Degrees offered
- B.Sc. (Hon's) in Agriculture
- B.Sc (Hon's) in Agriculture and Agri-Business
Faculty Of Fisheries
The Faculty of Fisheries was opened in 2004. The objective of this faculty is to produce graduates to develop the fisheries resources of the country.Fisheries Faculty has its own Website *Faculty Of Fisheries Of HSTU
- Degrees offered:
* B.Sc.(Hon's) in Fisheries. * M.Sc.(Hon's) In Fisheries.
Faculty of Veterinary & Animal Sciences
The prime objective of the Veterinary and Animal Science faculty at HSTU is to provide education to ensure the protection of health of our animals and improvement of their productivity as source of food and power. The faculty produces professionals to meet national and international demand in the fields of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science.
- Degree offered
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.)
For advanced RESEARCH the Institute of Research and Training (IRT) has been established.
Halls of residence
Students admitted to the faculties reside in or are attached to a hall of residence. The university has five halls of residence: three for male students and two for females. Halls are headed by a provost (called Hall Super) who is assisted by house tutors and assistant house tutors. The administration of a dormitory is controlled by a Hall President and his/her assistants.
- Male halls
1. Dormitory -1 (Shaheed Nur Hossen Hall), 2. Dormitory -2 (Shaheed Rastrapati Ziaur Rahman Hall), 3. Dormitory -4 (Tajuddin Ahmed Hall) &
- Female halls
1. Dormitory -3 (Shekh Fajilatunnesa Mujib Hall), & 2. Ladies Hall Extension -1, 3. Ladies Hall Extension -2
Students at HSTU are involved in extra-curricular activities. The student organizations are:
- Debating Society of HSTU
- Programmers Arena
- HSTU-OSN(OPEN SOURCE NETWORK)
- এসো গণিত শিখি(CSE Faculty)
- ABS (Assosiation of Business Studies)
- AFESA (Agro-Industrial and Food Process Engineering Student's Association)
- SAFF (Student's Association Of Fisheries)
- BSWF (Business Studies Welfare Fund)
- CSEA(Computer Science and Engineering Association)
- Orko Shangskritik Jote
- Senjuty Sangskritik Oikko (Senjuty on Facebook)
- Rotaract club of HSTU (www.rotaracthstu.org)
- HSTU Film Club
- ElOmElO-11 Production (Musical & Film Making Group)
- Prothom-alo Bondhusobha
- Turbo Crater (A Music Band & Music School)
- HSTU Contest Programmer
- Programming Resource (Programming Resource in Facebook)
Student Counseling and Guidance
The Students Counseling and Guidance Service helps students adjust to campus life, pursue curricular and co-curricular activities, develop their abilities for making wise choices and plans, and solve individual problems through counseling.
Sports and extracurricular activities
The university organizes sports and other extracurricular and recreational activities. It provides intramural and extramural programmes.
Intramural and extramural programmes (games and sports)
The directorate organizes and conducts interdepartment and inter-hall tournaments, individual hall athletics, university athletics, and inter-university games and sports. Students participate in national championships in games and sports for which training and coaching are offered.
The university Library holds a collection of more than 30,000 volumes, including bound volumes of periodicals. It subscribes to over 50 foreign journals. A complete automation of the system is in the process. The Confined Section of the library contains rare books.
The medical centre offers free medical service to students, teachers, staff and family members of the teachers and staff. The centre provides service round-the-clock, seven-days-a-week, with four doctors with ambulance facility. The centre has 10 bed accommodation so that patients suffering from contagious diseases may be cared for in isolation.
- University Grant Commission
- Hajee mohammad Danesh Science And Technology University
- Faculty Of Fisheries Of HSTU
- Bangladesh Fisheries Information Share Home(BdFISH)
- A2Z Bangladesh Education Information