Hajir Darioush (Persian: هژیر داریوش ) born in 1938 in Bandar Pahlavi, Iran was an Iranian film maker, described by Javed Jabbar in 1982 as "the leader of the organised progressive Iranian cinema". He took his own life in Blagnac, near Toulouse, France, in 1995.
Darioush studied cinema at I.D.H.E.C (Institut des Hautes Etudes Cinématographiques) later known as École Nationale Supérieure des Métiers de l'Image et du Son in Paris. After graduation, he married Goli Taraghi, a Persian novelist, and the only daughter of a rich journalist. However, the marriage did not last long.
His first film "Sacred Arena -- گود مقدس", in 1963, was a documentary about the traditional Persian gymnasium. His second film "Serpent's Skin -- جلد مار", made in 1964 was based on D.H. Lawrence's "Lady Chatterley's Lover" featuring Fakhri Khorvash and Jamshid Mashayekhi. It is believed that he started the New Wave of Iranian cinema with this film. He then returned to making two important early social documentaries "But Problems Arose -- ولی افتاد مشکلها" in 1965, dealing with the cultural alienation of Iranian youth, and "Face 75 --چهره 75" a critical look at the westernization of the rural culture, which was a prizewinner at the 1965 Berlin Film Festival. Finally, he made his first and last commercially successful film, "Bita" in 1972, about a young woman's struggle to come to terms with social barriers, starring Googoosh.
- Jabbar, Javed (1982). Snapshots: reflections in a Pakistani eye. Wajidalis. p. 194. OCLC 10395231.
- نگاهی به زندگی و فهرست آثار گلی ترقی. BBC Persian (in Persian). 29 August 2004. Retrieved 5 October 2009.
- Issari, Mohammad Ali (1989). Cinema in Iran, 1900-1979. Scarecrow Press. p. 188. ISBN 978-0-8108-2142-2.
- Hamzavi-Abedi, Aboutaleb (1978). Die Entwicklung des Films im Iran (in German). p. 160. OCLC 163535662.
- Haghighat, Mamad; Frédéric Sabouraud (1999). Histoire du cinéma iranien, 1900-1999 (in French). Bibliothèque publique d'information, Centre Georges Pompidou. p. 58. ISBN 978-2-84246-041-9.
- Kino (in Polish) (Wydawnictwo Artystyczne i Filmowe) 7: 58. 1972. ISSN 0023-1673. Missing or empty
|This article about an Iranian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|