A Hokuetsu Express 681-2000 series on a Hakutaka service, May 2009
|Service type||Limited express|
|First service||1 October 1965|
|Current operator(s)||JR West/Hokuetsu Express|
|Service frequency||12 return workings daily|
|Line used||Hokuriku Main Line, Hokuhoku Line, Joetsu Line|
|Class(es)||Standard + Green|
|Rolling stock||681 series, 683 series|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||20 kV AC 60 Hz overhead|
|Operating speed||160 km/h (100 mph)|
The Hakutaka (はくたか?, "White hawk") is a limited express train service jointly operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West) and Hokuetsu Express in Japan, which operates between Fukui, Kanazawa, and Echigo-Yuzawa.
Hakutaka services operate at approximately hourly intervals between Kanazawa and Echigo-Yuzawa, with one return service daily starting and terminating at Fukui. One return working daily operates between Wakura-Onsen and Echigo-Yuzawa. Services stop at the following stations.
The Hakutaka name was reinstated from 23 March 1997 for use on new limited express services connecting Kanazawa with the Joetsu Shinkansen via the newly built Hokuetsu Express Hokuhoku Line, operating at a maximum speed of 160 km/h (100 mph).
With the opening of the Hokuriku Shinkansen extension beyond Nagano to Kanazawa on 14 March 2015, the Hakutaka name will be used for services operating between Tokyo and Kanazawa. 14 return workings daily are planned using 12-car JR East E7 series and JR West W7 series trainsets, with trains stopping at most stations en route, as well as one return working daily between Nagano and Kanazawa, stopping at all stations en route.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. p. 38. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- JR Timetable, October 2013 issue, p.123-124
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995. p. 128.
- 北陸新幹線、来年３月１４日開業 東京―金沢２時間半 [Hokuriku Shinkansen to open 14 March next year: Tokyo - Kanazawa in two and a half hours]. Tokyo Shimbun Web (in Japanese). Japan: Chunichi Shimbun. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- 北陸新幹線の列車名の決定について [Hokuriku Shinkansen train names decided] (pdf). News release (in Japanese). Japan: JR East & JR West. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- 北陸新幹線 長野～金沢間開業に伴う運行計画の概要について [Outline of service plans for opening of Hokuriku Shinkansen from Nagano to Kanazawa] (PDF). News release (in Japanese). Japan: JR East & JR West. 27 August 2014. Retrieved 27 August 2014.