|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011)|
|Industry||Design, construction, engineering and business services|
|Founded||1868 by Thomas Meik|
90 offices worldwide, of which 28 are in the UK
|Tony Pryor, Chairman,
Peter Gammie, Group Chief Executive
|Revenue||£238 million (2011)|
Number of employees
Halcrow is one of the UK's largest consultancies, with origins stretching back to 1868. The UK-based consultancy specialises in the provision of planning, design and management services for infrastructure development worldwide. With interests in transportation, water, maritime and property, the company is undertaking commissions in over 70 countries from a network of more than 90 offices.
The company was founded in 1868 by civil engineer Thomas Meik, and originally bore his name, and later those of his sons, Patrick and Charles. It worked extensively on port, maritime and railway projects in the North of England, in Wales and in Scotland, before undertaking its first commissions outside the UK in the 1890s.
The firm has had several previous names, including CS Meik and Buchanan (1920), CS Meik and Halcrow (1923), WT Halcrow and Partners (1941) and Sir William Halcrow and Partners (1944). The current name was adopted in 1998.
Today Halcrow's consultancy work includes water, transportation, maritime, environment, power and property projects. Its customers include government departments, public sector authorities and utilities, industrial and commercial companies, international funding agencies and financial institutions.
In 2008, the company reported a turnover of £468 million. Projects undertaken outside the UK accounted for 48% of turnover. Owned and managed by its employees and staff shareholders, Halcrow remained an independent firm until 2011. On 10 November 2011 CH2M Hill announced that it had completed the acquisition of Halcrow for £124m.
It was subsequently reported that Halcrow was effectively rescued by CH2M Hill, having incurred a pre-tax loss of £71m in its last year of independent trading (to 31 December 2011), on a turnover of £238m, down from £331m in 2010. Accounts lodged with Companies House showed that CH2M Hill's financial backing was crucial to Halcrow’s survival; the US firm agreed a secured loan to the company in December 2012 without which there would have been doubt regarding the firm’s ability to continue as a going concern.
Notable modern projects
- Second Severn Crossing (UK; completed 1996) - Halcrow, in partnership with French consultant SEEE, designed the crossing on behalf of the Laing-GTM joint venture that won a £330 million contract to design and build the bridge.
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (Toronto, Canada; completion c. 2006) - Halcrow Yolles was the structural engineer of record for the passenger terminal facility. It was involved in the early concept design of the Central Processor roof structure in collaboration with Ove Arup and Partners; all remaining concept design, and all final administration services were provided by Halcrow Yolles.
- Clyde Arc Bridge (Glasgow, UK; completed 2006) - Halcrow designed this landmark bridge structure across the River Clyde in central Glasgow. The bridge provides access to the Pacific Quay development.
- One King Street West (Toronto, Canada; completed 2007) - Halcrow provided full structural engineering services to this slender 51-storey condominium-hotel linked to the existing 14-storey Toronto Dominion Bank building (c. 1915).
- Sheikh Zayed Mosque (completed 2007) - Halcrow were commissioned in 2001 to fulfil the role of construction supervisor working closely with the contractor, Impregilo of Italy, for the first phase of the project: the structural shell of the building. Following completion of the concrete structure Halcrow acted as the project consultant for the second phase up to completion of the project late in 2007 when the mosque was first opened to worshippers.
- Channel Tunnel rail link (UK; completed 2007) - Halcrow, as part of the Rail Link Engineering consortium, was responsible for all design and project management services on this project, delivering the £5.8 billion system on time and within budget.
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (Abu Dhabi; completed 2008) - Halcrow was commissioned to carry out planning, design and site supervision for a second runway at Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- Yas Island Development (Abu Dhabi; completed 2009) - Halcrow acted as the client's appointed lead consultant responsible for the design and construction supervision of the primary infrastructure for this mixed-use 2500ha island development.
- Busan-Geoje Fixed Link (South Korea; completion due 2010) - Halcrow TEC JV have been appointed Technical Advisers to Daewoo Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd, who are leading the consortium which has been awarded the concession to design, construct and operate this US$1100m transport link.
- Bond Street Station Upgrade (UK; detailed design 2010-12) - Halcrow is part of the design team, along with consultants Atkins appointed by Costain Laing O'Rourke Joint Venture for the upgrading of the existing Bond Street Station in Central London
- Thames Hub (UK; concept 2011) - Halcrow is providing technical advice to architects Foster + Partners for its Thames Hub proposal for integrated infrastructure development in the Thames Estuary in the UK. The Thames Hub combines rail, freight logistics, aviation, renewable energy and its transmission, flood protection and regional development in the Thames Estuary and connects this infrastructure to a trade and utilities spine that runs the length of the UK.
- Pitt, Vern (10 April 2013). "Halcrow was £71m in the red before CH2M Hill takeover". Building. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- For example, it was ranked 5th in the New Civil Engineer 2009 Consultants File listing: Top firms by number of civil and structural staff, with 6275 staff - http://www.nce.co.uk/top-firms-by-number-of-civil-and-structural-staff/1995394.article. Accessed: 27 June 2012.
- "Halcrow - About us home page". Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Halcrow - Project - Clyde Arc". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Halcrow - Project - Toronto Pearson Airport - Terminal 1". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Halcrow - Projects - Medway Viaduct". Retrieved 2010-02-26.[dead link]
- "Completion of Acquisition of Halcrow / CH2M HILL". Newsroom.ch2mhill.com. November 10, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Halcrow - Project - Second Severn Crossing". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Halcrow - Project - One King West". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Halcrow - Project - Grand Mosque Abu Dhabi". Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Halcrow - Projects - High Speed 1 page". Retrieved 2010-02-25.[dead link]
- "Halcrow - Project - Abu Dhabi International Airport". Retrieved 2010-03-02.[dead link]
- "Halcrow - Project - Yas Island". Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Halcrow - Project - Busan Geoje fixed Link". Retrieved 2010-03-02.