Half a Crown (novel)
|Genre||Alternate history novel|
|30 September 2008|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|LC Class||PR6073.A448 H34 2008|
Half a Crown is a science fiction novel written by Jo Walton published by Tor Books in September 2008. The first "Small Change" novel, Farthing, was released in August 2006. The second novel in the trilogy, Ha'penny, was released in October 2007.
The book is a thriller set inside an alternate history in which the United Kingdom made peace with Adolf Hitler and the United States did not become involved in World War II. The British government has become fascist and authoritarian. Peter Carmichael, formerly a police inspector at Scotland Yard, is now head of the secret police called "The Watch". He must deal with political intrigue by those jealous of his position and safeguard his teenage ward while keeping secret his illicit activities helping Jews and dissidents who wish to flee the country.
Publishers Weekly was mixed in its review saying "Walton's understated prose and deft characterizations elevate this above similar works such as Fatherland and SS-GB. Some readers, though, may feel let down by an optimistic ending that jars with the series' overall downbeat tone."
Awards and nominations
- 2008, USA, Tor Books ISBN 978-0-7653-1621-9 Pub date 30 September 2008, Hardback
- Axis victory in World War II, regarding works of Nazi Germany/Axis/World War II alternate history
- Tor-Forge Books official website
- Berry, Michael (October 19, 2008). "Evildoers and friendly ghosts". San Francisco Chronicle. p. M7. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- "Government by fear". Montreal Gazette. October 28, 2008. Retrieved September 25, 2010.