Location of Halifax, Virginia
|• Total||3.8 sq mi (9.9 km2)|
|• Land||3.8 sq mi (9.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||495 ft (151 m)|
|• Density||365.2/sq mi (141.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1502794|
Carlbrook, Halifax County Courthouse, Mountain Road Historic District, Pleasant Grove, and the Town of Halifax Court House Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Halifax is located at .(36.764593, -78.928081)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.9 km²), of which, 3.8 square miles (9.8 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.52%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,389 people, 523 households, and 348 families residing in the town. The population density was 365.2 people per square mile (141.1/km²). There were 583 housing units at an average density of 153.3 per square mile (59.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 62.71% White, 36.14% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population.
There were 523 households out of which 24.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.3% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the town the population was spread out with 18.9% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 19.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $34,871, and the median income for a family was $46,250. Males had a median income of $26,538 versus $21,167 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,571. About 10.4% of families and 8.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.2% of those under age 18 and 9.8% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Halifax has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 1/24/11 through 1/28/11. National Park Service. 2012-08-17.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Halifax, Virginia