Halifax Public Libraries
|Established||April 1, 1996 (merger)|
|Location||Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|
|Items collected||business directories, phone books, maps, government publications, books, periodicals, genealogy, local history,|
|Access and use|
|Director||Asa Kachan, CEO|
|Website||Halifax Public Libraries|
Halifax Public Libraries is the public library system that serves the Halifax Regional Municipality of Nova Scotia, Canada. It was created in 1996 through a merging of the Halifax, Dartmouth Regional, and Halifax County library systems. It currently operates 14 branches and various home delivery services.
- Alderney Gate (Downtown Dartmouth)
- Captain William Spry (Spryfield)
- Cole Harbour
- Dartmouth North
- Halifax North Memorial
- J.D. Shatford (Hubbards)
- Keshen Goodman (Clayton Park)
- Musquodoboit Harbour
- Sheet Harbour
- Thomas Raddall (replaced by Keshen Goodman)
- Spring Garden Road Memorial (replaced by Halifax Central Library)
- Halifax Central Library (to be completed in 2014, replacing Spring Garden Memorial Library)
Halifax Mechanics' Institute was one of a series of Mechanic's Institutes that were set up around the world after becoming popular in Britain. It housed a subscription library that allowed members who paid a fee to borrow books. The Mechanic's Institutes libraries eventually became public libraries when the establishment of free libraries occurred.
The central library, Spring Garden Road Memorial, opened in 1951 as a memorial to the war dead. It was expanded in 1974. It closed permanently on August 30, 2014 and will be replaced the new Halifax Central Library once books have been moved.
- "Asa Kachan new CEO of Halifax Public Libraries". CBC News. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Harris, Michael. History Of Libraries In The Western World. 4th ed. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1995, p. 153.
- Halifax (N.S.). Citizens' Free Library (1864), Catalogue with the constitution and rules of the Citizen's Free Library. ..., Halifax, N.S: Printed by James Bowes & Sons
- Citizen's Free Library (Halifax, N.S.) (1873), Supplementary catalogue of new books and list of magazines, s.n., ISBN 0665920172, OCLC 53548915, 0665920172
- Citizen's Free Library (Halifax, N.S.). (1876), Catalogue with the rules and constitution of the Citizens' Free Library, s.n., ISBN 0665085168, 0665085168
- Catalogue of the Citizen's Free Library, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Halifax, N.S: Published by order of the Library Committee, City Council, 1894, ISBN 0665011121, 0665011121