Halifax Public Libraries
|Halifax Public Libraries|
|Established||April 1, 1996 (merger)|
|Location||Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|
|Items collected||business directories, phone books, maps, government publications, books, periodicals, genealogy, local history,|
|Access and use|
|Director||Judith Hare, CEO|
|Website||Halifax Public Libraries|
Halifax Public Libraries is the public library system that serves the Halifax Regional Municipality of Nova Scotia, Canada. It was created in 1996 through a merging of the Halifax, Dartmouth Regional, and Halifax County library systems. It currently operates 14 branches and various home delivery services.
- Alderney Gate (Downtown Dartmouth)
- Captain William Spry (Spryfield)
- Cole Harbour
- Dartmouth North
- Halifax North Memorial
- J.D. Shatford (Hubbards)
- Keshen Goodman (Clayton Park)
- Musquodoboit Harbour
- Sheet Harbour
- Spring Garden Road Memorial
- Thomas Raddall (replaced by Keshen Goodman)
- Halifax Central Library (to be completed in 2014)
Halifax Mechanics' Institute was one of a series of Mechanic's Institutes that were set up around the world after becoming popular in Britain. It housed a subscription library that allowed members who paid a fee to borrow books. The Mechanic's Institutes libraries eventually became public libraries when the establishment of free libraries occurred.
- "Halifax Public Libraries: Meet our CEO". Halifax Public Libraries. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Harris, Michael. History Of Libraries In The Western World. 4th ed. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1995, p. 153.
- Halifax (N.S.). Citizens' Free Library (1864), Catalogue with the constitution and rules of the Citizen's Free Library. ..., Halifax, N.S: Printed by James Bowes & Sons
- Citizen's Free Library (Halifax, N.S.) (1873), Supplementary catalogue of new books and list of magazines, s.n., ISBN 0665920172, OCLC 53548915, 0665920172
- Citizen's Free Library (Halifax, N.S.). (1876), Catalogue with the rules and constitution of the Citizens' Free Library, s.n., ISBN 0665085168, 0665085168
- Catalogue of the Citizen's Free Library, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Halifax, N.S: Published by order of the Library Committee, City Council, 1894, ISBN 0665011121, 0665011121