Halim Perdanakusuma Airport
|Halim Perdanakusuma Airport
Bandara Udara Halim Perdanakusuma
|IATA: HLP – ICAO: WIHH
|Operator||PT Angkasa Pura II|
|Location||East Jakarta, Jakarta|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
|Sources: List of the busiest airports in Indonesia|
This airport is also used for military, private and presidential purposes. Government officials are also allowed to use it. In 2007, President of the United States George W. Bush landed at this airport on his visit to Indonesia. Former Indonesian President Suharto's hearse was airlifted to Solo in Central Java on 28 January 2008.
This airport takes its name from Air Vice-Marshal Halim Perdanakoesoema, an Indonesian aviator. The airport is now home to a large number of turboprop, charter and general aviation companies. It is also a major air force base of the Indonesian Air Force and is home to most of its major squadron such as the 31st air squadron and the 17th VIP air squadron.
In the 1960s, the airport was also known as the Halim Perdana Kusumah Air Force Base, and before it was known as Tjililitan Airport, the borough in which it is located.
To ease Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, the Halim airport authority has announced to give 60 flight slots per hour for scheduled flights and for the first time, the 2013 Haj pilgrims have used this airport. Since 2014, the airport serves domestic schedule flights with limitation capacity up to 2.2 million passengers per year from about only 200,000 passengers in 2013 (over capacity).
Halim Perdanakusuma was the city's main airport until the opening of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang in 1985. Until then, it served all international routes bound for Jakarta. But in 2014, the Airport opened for public again. An Airport Express train were planned connecting the airport to the Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. A feasibility study had been conducted on December 2013. Also, the Jakarta government planned to expand the road connecting to the airport to ease traffic in the nearby Cawang.
This terminal is used only for Hajj season only.
Airlines and destinations
|Citilink||Palembang, Malang, Semarang, Yogyakarta|
|Garuda Indonesia||Hajj: Jeddah|
|Lion Air||Hajj: Jeddah|
|Pelita Air Service||Balikpapan, Denpasar/Bali, Dumai, Makassar, Matak, Pangkalpinang, Pekanbaru, Sorong, Yogyakarta, Natuna|
|Susi Air||Cilacap, Pangandaran|
|Gatari Air Service||Matak|
|Gading Sari||Kuala Lumpur|
Airport to Airport Express Train
The feasibility study of Airport to Airport Express Train has been finished and ready for prequalification offering. The Express Train initial plan is from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (SHIA) to Manggarai, but to realize needs of transportation from Halim Perdanakusuma Airport (HPA), so the route is decided to extent from Manggarai to HPA. The route will be 33 kilometers from Halim-Cawang-Manggarai-Tanah Abang-Sudirman-Pluit-Terminal 2&3 SHIA on surface land, underground and elevated, has been agreed by Peraturan Menteri Nomor 1264 Tahun 2013 of Transportation Ministry. The Express Train takes 30 minutes only between two airports instead of 1 to 3 hours drive.
Accidents and Incidents
- On 24 June 1982, British Airways Flight 9, a Boeing 747-200 flew through a cloud of volcanic ash thrown up by the eruption of Mount Galunggung, causing the failure of all four engines. The crew diverted the aircraft to Jakarta and it landed safely.
- On 9 May 2012, a new Russian-made Sukhoi Superjet 100 carrying over 40 people went missing during a demonstration flight for potential buyers and journalists. The Sukhoi Superjet-100 took off from Jakarta's Halim Perdanakusuma Airport bound for Pelabuhan Ratu, Sukabumi, West Java, at 2:21 p.m. (0721 GMT). It crashed on mount Salak.
- On 21 June 2012, an Indonesian Air Force Fokker F-27 crashed on landing and hit a housing complex near Halim airport.
- "Soekarno-Hatta must be expanded to meet passenger demand." The Jakarta Post. Wednesday 1 September 2010. Retrieved on 16 September 2010. "Starting operation in 1985, Soekarno-Hatta airport replaced Kemayoran airport in Central Jakarta and Halim Perdanakusuma airport in East Jakarta"
- "Citilink Berangkat Dari Halim Penuh Penumpang". January 10, 2014.
- "Halim undergoes renovation to ease air traffic at Soekarno-Hatta". July 24, 2013.
- "Layani Penerbangan Komersial, Bandara Halim Kebut Renovasi". December 21, 2013.
- "April, Tender Kereta Halim-Bandara Soekarno-Hatta". Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Airport information for WIHH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Current weather for WIHH at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HLP at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Accident history for HLP at Aviation Safety Network
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Halim Perdanakusuma airport.|