Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Produced by||Suresh Sharma
Abdol Samee Siddiqui
|Screenplay by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Story by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Music by||Sukhwinder Singh
|Edited by||Steven H. Bernard|
|Distributed by||Indian Films
Sunrise Pictures Pvt. Ltd.
|Release dates||11 January 2008|
|Running time||150 mins|
|Budget||210 million (US$3.4 million))|
Halla Bol (Raise Your Voice) is a Hindi drama film released on 11 January 2008, and directed by Rajkumar Santoshi. Halla Bol stars Ajay Devgan and Vidya Balan in pivotal roles and a number of celebrities from the Hindi film industry appear as themselves. Produced by Samee Siddiqui, the film's score and soundtrack was composed by Sukhwinder Singh, while Nataraja Subramanian and Steven Bernard were the cinematographer and editor respectively.
The film touches upon the Jessica Lall murder case, Aamir Khan's involvement with the Narmada Bachao Andolan, the Right to Information Act, and public participation in fighting corruption. It also references the theatre group Jan Natya Manch, whose leader, theatre activist Safdar Hashmi, was killed by political rivals while performing a street play by the same name, Halla Bol!, in 1989.
Ashfaque (Ajay Devgn) is a small town boy aspiring to be a film star in the Hindi film industry. He joins a street theatre group run by a reformed dacoit Sidhu (Pankaj Kapoor), who uses street theatre as a medium to bring about an awakening in the masses. Ashfaque struggles to give a creative vent to the actor in him in order to realise his dreams. Ashfaque's determined struggle pays off and he gets a break in films. He gets a new screen name – Sameer Khan. With the passage of time, he moves up the success ladder in a very short time.
Soon, he becomes Sameer Khan the superstar – one who can enact any role with finesse, get under the skin of any and every character with ease and walk away with audience applause. Amidst all the adulation and applause, he slowly loses his own identity. He forgets his real self and imbibes all characteristics of the various roles essayed by him on screen. Corruption overtakes his entire system, alienating him from all loved ones, including his wife Sneha (Vidya Balan). A shocking incident at a party changes everything, rocking Sameer Khan's lifestyle. He gets caught between his human self on one side and his corrupted superstar image on the other. Whether the conflict within him gives way to good sense and whether he is able to discard his corrupted image and emerge as a true life hero, becomes an integral part of this true life cinema.
- Ajay Devgn as Ashfaaq Khan / Sameer
- Vidya Balan as Sneha
- Pankaj Kapoor as Sidhu
- Darshan Jariwala as Ganpatrao Gaekwad
- Sanjai Mishra as Sameer's manager
- Abhay Bhargava
- Anupam Shyam
- Anjan Srivastava as Amanullah Khan
- Sulbha Arya as Nazma Khan
- Iqbal Dosani as a Police Commissioner
- Deepak Pandit as Police Inspector Rathod
- Sitaram Panchal
- Rushita Singh
- Mukesh Tiwari
- Prabhu Chawla as himself
- Lekh Tandon as himself
- Tusshar Kapoor as himself
- Sana Khan as herself
- Kareena Kapoor as a part of screen footage from the film Omkara
- Jackie Shroff as himself
- Ruby Bhatia as herself
- Sayali Bhagat in the song "Is Pal Ki Soch"
- Pahlaj Nihalani as himself
- Neeraj Vora as himself
Special appearances at the award ceremony (in order of appearance):
The film's music was composed by Sukhwinder Singh.
- "Barsan Lagi" – Sneha Pant
- "Is Pal Ki Soch" – Harshdeep Kaur
- "Jab Tak Hai Dum" – Sukhwinder Singh (Lyrics- Sameer Dushyant Kumar)
- "More Haji Piya" – Amjad Farid Sabri
- "Shabd Gurbani" – Sukhwinder Singh
- "Halla Bol Theme"
- "Sridevi returns with Raj Kumar Santoshi's HALLA BOL". 11 celebrities are making guest appearances in Halla Bol. Retrieved 7 July 2007.