|Population||10,162 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,286/km2 (3,332/sq mi)|
|Area||7.9 km2 (3.1 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Casey|
|State electorate(s)||Narre Warren North|
Hallam is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 36 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Casey. At the 2011 Census, Hallam had a population of 10,162.
The suburb has its own railway station.
The post office opened on 1 May 1889. It closed in 1981, but reopened in 1994.
The Railway station opened as Hallam's Road Railway Station. It was renamed Hallam's about 1910 and Hallam about 1925.
According to 2011 Census the most common ancestries in Hallam were English 14.8%, Australian 13.8%, Indian 5.3%, Afghan 5.1% and Chinese 3.5%. 45.9% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were India 5.3%, Sri Lanka 5.0%, Afghanistan 5.0%, New Zealand 2.4% and England 2.4%. The most common responses for religion in Hallam were Catholic 27.8%, No Religion 13.8%, Islam 13.4%, Anglican 7.9% and Buddhism 6.1%. 46.4% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Dari 4.7%, Arabic 3.8%, Sinhalese 3.3%, Punjabi 2.3% and Spanish 2.2%.
There were 4,889 people who reported being in the labour force in the week before 2011 Census night in Hallam . Of these 61.0% were employed full-time, 25.1% were employed part-time and 8.3% were unemployed.
Places of interest
- Eumemmerring College - Hallam Campus
- Hallam Community Centre
- Hallam Primary School
- Hallam Hotel
- Fountain Gate Shopping Centre
- Hallam Pub since 1882
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Hallam (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment, Locality Names and Boundaries - City of Casey (PDF), retrieved 30 October 2008
- The Age, Is this really Melbourne's least liveable suburb?, retrieved 24 November 2011
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2011). Hallam (State Suburb). 2011 QuickStats. Retrieved 21 June 2011.