Mont d'Halluin district
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Gustave Dassonville|
|Area1||12.56 km2 (4.85 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||59279 / 59250|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The line was formerly served by the Somain-Halluin Railway.
The A22 autoroute links the town to Lille and Belgium.
|The arms of Halluin are blazoned :
Argent, 3 lions sable langued gules, armed and crowned Or.
An erstwhile bastion of the left, Halluin owes its nickname Halluin the Red to the powerful trade unions who used their influence to support communist mayors during the interbellum. However, since the 1990s Halluin has become gentrified, and in the 2007 and 2012 presidential elections the town backed Nicolas Sarkozy.
In 2014 mayoral elections, voters chose the right wing parties by a solid margin of 62% :
Gustave Dassonville (UMP) received 40% of the votes and Jean-Christophe Destailleur (Centre-right) received 22% of the votes.
Left wing parties with 38% of votes have been defeated, and Gustave Dassonville has been elected mayor of this town.
Points of interest
Halluin is twinned with:
- Menen, Belgium
- Oer-Erkenschwick, Germany - since 1969
- North Tyneside, England - since 1994
- Pniewy, Poland - since 1998
- Lübbenau, Germany - since 2000
- Kočevje, Slovenia - since 2000
- NKong-Zem, Cameroon - since 2001
- INSEE commune file
- 2014 Municipal election Halluin ( Newspaper Le Monde)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Halluin.|
- Halluin official website (in French)
- 100% Halluin (in French)
- Halluin Tawhid Masjeed official website (in French)
|This Nord geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|