Hambden Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Hambden Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
|Motto: "The Community That Comes Together"|
Municipalities and townships of Geauga County
|• Total||22.5 sq mi (58.3 km2)|
|• Land||22.5 sq mi (58.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation ||1,302 ft (397 m)|
|• Density||179.0/sq mi (69.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086153|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- LeRoy Township, Lake County - north
- Thompson Township - northeast corner
- Montville Township - east
- Huntsburg Township - southeast corner
- Claridon Township - south
- Munson Township - southwest corner
- Chardon Township - west
- Concord Township, Lake County - northwest
A small part of the city of Chardon, the county seat of Geauga County, is located in southwestern Hambden Township. The unincorporated settlement of Hambden is located in the center, at the intersection of U.S. Route 6 and State Route 608.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hambden, Ohio
- "The History of Hambden Township". Hambden Township website. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.