|• Mayor||Dane Weindorf|
|• Total||8.8 km2 (3.4 sq mi)|
|• Land||8.8 km2 (3.4 sq mi)|
|• Water||0 km2 (0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||49 m (161 ft)|
|• Density||323.7/km2 (838/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077109|
The current mayor of Hamburg is Dane Weindorf. Former mayors include Thomas Crow Hundley, a World War I veteran, Gordon Hennington.
Public education for elementary and secondary school students is provided by the Hamburg School District, which is one of the two public school districts in Ashley County. In 2012, Hamburg High School was nationally recognized as a Silver Medalist and the No. 1737 (national rank) and No. 14 (state rank) in the Best High Schools Report developed by U.S. News & World Report.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,039 people, 1,158 households, and 802 families residing in the city. The population density was 890.4 people per square mile (344.1/km²). There were 1,264 housing units at an average density of 370.3 per square mile (143.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 60.32% White, 33.63% Black or African American, 0.36% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 3.62% from other races, and 1.84% from two or more races. 6.55% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,158 households out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 16.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.7% were non-families. 27.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.9% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 89.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,189, and the median income for a family was $36,875. Males had a median income of $28,696 versus $20,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,599. About 20.8% of families and 25.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.1% of those under age 18 and 19.9% of those age 65 or over.
Notable people 
- Carroll E. Lanier, mayor of Alexandria, Louisiana, from 1977 to 1982, born in Hamburg in 1926
- Van H. Manning, Confederate Army colonel and U.S. Representative from Mississippi, practiced law in Hamburg in 1861
- The Martins, Gospel trio
- Stevi Perry, Miss Teen USA 2008 beauty queen, born in Hamburg
- Scottie Pippen, NBA star, born in Hamburg
- Charles Portis, author of True Grit
Hamburg is home-base to the Armadillo Festival, held the first weekend in May since 1970.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Hamburg city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Best High Schools 2012". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.