Location in Harris County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||768 ft (234 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0315055|
Hamilton is a city in and the county seat of Harris County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Columbus, Georgia-Alabama Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,033 at the 2010 census.
Hamilton was founded in 1827 as seat of the newly-formed Harris County. It was incorporated as a town in 1828 and as a city in 1903.
Hamilton is located at  U.S. Route 27 runs through the city from north to south, leading south 22 mi (35 km) to Columbus and north 21 mi (34 km) to LaGrange. Georgia State Route 116 intersects U.S. Route 27 in the city for a very short concurrency. Atlanta is 74 mi (119 km) by road to the northeast. The city is located at the southern base of the Pine Mountain Range, the most southern mountain range of the U.S. Appalachian Mountains.(32.764669, -84.873103).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 307 people, 131 households, and 83 families residing in the city. The population density was 147.2 people per square mile (56.7/km²). There were 144 housing units at an average density of 69.0 per square mile (26.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 67.75% White, 29.97% African American, 1.63% Asian, 0.33% from other races, and 0.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.33% of the population.
There were 131 households out of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.0% were married couples living together, 19.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.6% were non-families. 34.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 18.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 89.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,143, and the median income for a family was $38,750. Males had a median income of $28,750 versus $32,083 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,292. About 5.2% of families and 12.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under the age of eighteen and 21.8% of those sixty five or over.
Harris County School District
The Harris County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of four elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 274 full-time teachers and over 4,411 students.
- Mulberry Creek Elementary School
- New Mountain Hill Elementary School
- Park Elementary School
- Pine Ridge Elementary School
- Harris County Carver Middle School
- Harris County High School
Hamilton Post Office (ZIP Code 31811)
The Harris County Schools Board of Education in Hamilton.
Harris County High School is located in Hamilton.
Hamilton Baptist Church and Pastorium was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1982.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 232. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 148.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 19, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 19, 2010.