Hamilton County Courthouse
|• Total||2.9 sq mi (7.5 km2)|
|• Land||2.8 sq mi (7.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,168 ft (356 m)|
|• Density||1,067.2/sq mi (412.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1337274|
Hamilton is located at (31.703274, -98.120359).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.9 square miles (7.5 km2), of which, 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (1.73%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,095 people, 1,230 households, and 777 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,067.2 people per square mile (412.7 per km²). There were 1,470 housing units at an average density of 506.9 per sq mi (196 per km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.5% White, 0.7% (21) African American, 0.7% (21) Native American, 0.5% (14) Asian, 2.8% (88) from other races, and 0.8% (25) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.9% of the population.
There were 1,230 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.8% were non-families. 32.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.8% under the age of 18, 27.9% from 18 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 26.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.2 years. For every 100 females there were 86.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,585, and the median income for a family was $38,702. Males had a median income of $27,074 versus $17,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,012. About 12.2% of families and 15.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.0% of those under age 18 and 16.1% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Hamilton is served by the Hamilton Independent School District.
The Hamilton County Courthouse was built in 1887, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April, 1980.
- Russell B. Cummings, a former member of the Texas House of Representatives from Harris County, operated a ranch near Hamilton from 1994 until his death in 2008.
- Brushy Bill, the man who claimed to be the infamous outlaw, Billy the Kid is buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Hamilton.
- Physician (New York University School of Medicine Class of 1855) and American Civil War veteran, Dr. Leonidas Crews, brother of C.C. Crews.
Hamilton is home to Hamilton Municipal Airport, a city-owned public-use airport located at the south edge of the city.
- U.S. Route 281 is the largest highway and main north-south route through Hamilton. US 281 runs all the way from the Mexican border in the south to the Canadian border in the north.
- Texas State Highway 36 also runs through Hamilton on a generally east-west axis on its way between Abilene to the northwest and Freeport to the southeast.
- Texas State Highway 22 reaches its western terminus within the city limits of Hamilton at its junction with State Highway 36 near the eastern edge of the city. State Highway 22 runs east from Hamilton to Corsicana.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Hamilton has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Climate Summary for Hamilton, Texas
- City of Hamilton Official Website