K-W United FC
|Full name||Kitchener-Waterloo United Football Club|
|Founded||2010 (as Hamilton FC Rage)|
|Head Coach||Stuart Neely|
|League||USL Premier Development League|
|2014||2nd, Great Lakes
Playoffs: Conference Semifinals
|Website||Club home page|
K-W United FC is a Canadian soccer team based in the Kitchener-Waterloo region in Ontario, Canada. Founded in 2010 as Hamilton Rage FC, the team plays in the USL Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American & Canadian soccer pyramid, in the Great Lakes Division of the Central Conference.
The team previously played its home games at Brian Timmis Stadium and Ron Joyce Stadium in Hamilton, Ontario, but will play its 2013 games at University Stadium in Waterloo, Ontario, after the club was moved to Kitchener-Waterloo and renamed following the 2012 season.
Hamilton FC Rage was announced as a USL Premier Development League expansion franchise on February 17, 2011. They played their first competitive game on May 25, 2011, a 2-0 loss to the Toronto Lynx, but won their second game 5-0 over the Ottawa Fury. The first goal in franchise history was scored by Dominic Bell.
Relocation & re-branding
Following the 2012 PDL season, the club was re-named K-W United FC and relocated to Kitchener-Waterloo due to low attendance numbers in Hamilton since the club's inception in 2011. The club has no affiliation with SC Waterloo Region, who also plays in the area.
As of May 31, 2014.
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Notable former players
- See also: All-time K-W United FC roster
This list of notable former players comprises players who went on to play professional soccer after playing for the team in the Premier Development League, or those who previously played professionally before joining the team.
|Year||Division||League||Regular Season||Playoffs||Open Canada Cup|
|2011||4||PDL||6th, Great Lakes||Did not qualify||N/A|
|2012||4||PDL||7th, Great Lakes||Did not qualify||N/A|
|2013||4||PDL||4th, Great Lakes||Did not qualify||N/A|
|2014||4||PDL||2nd, Great Lakes||Conference Semifinals||N/A|
- Brian Timmis Stadium; Hamilton, Ontario (2011)
- Ivor Wynne Stadium; Hamilton, Ontario (2011) - 1 game
- Ron Joyce Stadium; Hamilton, Ontario (2012)
- University Stadium; Waterloo, Ontario (2013-)
Attendance stats are calculated by averaging each team's self-reported home attendances from the historical match archive at http://www.uslsoccer.com/history/index_E.html.
- 2011: 168 (as Hamilton)
- 2012: 135
- 2013: 705 (first season as Kitchener)
- 2014: 306
- K-W United FC, sister women's team playing in the USL W-League
- SC Waterloo Region
- Hamilton Steelers (disambiguation)
- North American Soccer League
- Major League Soccer
- "Region scores two new professional soccer teams". www.TheRecord.com. 2013-02-07. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "Hamilton FC Rage Joins PDL". Uslsoccer.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "United Soccer Leagues (USL)". Pdl.uslsoccer.com. 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- "United Soccer Leagues (USL)". Pdl.uslsoccer.com. 2011-05-29. Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- "2014 Stats". USL Soccer. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "USL welcomes Hamilton FC to Men’s U23 PDL". Retrieved February 20, 2011.
- "Neely Appointed K-W United Head Coach". United Soccer Leagues (USL). March 3, 2014. Retrieved March 4, 2014.