Hamilton High School (Hamilton, Ohio)
|Hamilton High School|
|1165 Eaton Avenue
Hamilton, Ohio, (Butler County), 45013
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Asst. Principal||Chris Mate (A-D)
Maribeth Robinson (E-K)
Patricia Gibbons (L-R)
Sid Imhoff (S-Z)
|Color(s)||Blue and White |
|Athletics conference||Greater Miami Conference|
|Team name||Big Blue|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Publication||Blueprints (Literary Magazine)|
|Newspaper||Big Blue Bulletin|
|Athletic Director||Michael Dellapina|
Hamilton High School is a public high school in Hamilton, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Hamilton City School District. It was the school in which then-President George W. Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act on January 8, 2002.
The present building on Eaton Avenue opened as Taft High School in 1959. Taft served the west side of Hamilton while Garfield High School on Fair Avenue served the east. Both were consolidated to form Hamilton High in 1981 at Taft.
In 2002, a massive addition was built across the school's front, giving it new entrances, a new facade, a new library/media center, and six new classrooms. A new fine arts wing was finished in 2004. A recent bond issue approved the construction of a new gymnasium and to convert the old gym into a larger cafeteria.
Hamilton had a high school at the corner of S. Second and Ludlow Streets downtown until 1915 when a new building was constructed at N. Sixth and Dayton Streets. The high school remained there until 1959, when Hamilton's population swelled and two high schools became necessary.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Baseball – 1983, 1997 
- Boys Basketball – 1937, 1949, 1954, 2004 
- Boys Golf – 1948 
- Girls Softball – 1985 
- Aaron Cook, Current MLB player (Colorado Rockies, Boston Red Sox)
- Mark Lewis, Former MLB player (Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds, Baltimore Orioles)
- Joe Nuxhall, Former Cincinnati Reds announcer and MLB player (Cincinnati Reds, Kansas City Athletics, Los Angeles Angels)
- Ricky Stone, Former MLB player (Houston Astros, San Diego Padres, Cincinnati Reds)
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on 2010-06-20. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.