Hamilton Southeastern High School
|Hamilton Southeastern High School|
|13910 East 126th Street
Fishers, Indiana, Hamilton County, 46037
|School type||Public High School|
|Motto||Promote Respect, Foster Pride, Inspire Excellence|
|School district||Hamilton Southeastern Schools|
|Principal||Mr. Matt Kegley|
|Vice principal||Charles Hoover
|Number of students||2983|
|Hours in school day||7:35 - 2:55|
|Athletics conference||Hoosier Crossroads Conference|
|Mascot||Royals (Roary the crowned lion)|
|Average SAT scores||1085 (95th percentile) (2006–07)|
|Average ACT scores||24.3 (2006–07)|
|Feeder schools||Hamilton Southeastern Junior High School
Fishers Junior High School
Riverside Junior High School
Hamilton Southeastern High School (HSE or HSHS) is a four-star, former Blue Ribbon public high school in Fishers, Indiana, United States. It is a part of the Hamilton Southeastern School District. The school's mission statement promote respect, foster pride, inspire excellence.
The enrollment for the 2010-2011 school year was 2698 students, 2505 students for 2008-2009, 2071 students for 2007–2008, and 2260 for 2006–2007.
Until 1964, Fishers High School served southeastern Hamilton County. In 1963, the office of Superintendent of County Schools was eliminated due to Indiana's school district consolidation initiative. The Hamilton Southeastern School District was then created along with the new Hamilton Southeastern High School. In 1969, the original Fishers High School was demolished.
During the 2003–2004 school year, the Hamilton Southeastern school district opened up the Hamilton Southeastern High School Freshman Campus, which would house the district's high school freshmen until the 2006–2007 school year. In the fall of 2006, the HSE Freshmen Campus became the second high school in the HSE school district, Fishers High School. In summer 2009, the cafeteria was expanded to accommodate more students.
A new cafeteria and hallway replaced much of the original HSE High School courtyard in summer 2010. The addition was part of a 1.5 million dollar project to combat overcrowding and help ease foot traffic.
In 2012 freshman were put into a Freshman Campus at the location of the old Junior High until the Senior wing addition, which is currently in the middle of construction, is finished.
HSEHS has earned a silver medal from U.S. News & World Report magazine for both 2008 and 2009. With five stars, it is also ranked 6th out of 327 public high schools in Indiana, according to School Digger.
HSE has been an Indiana Chamber of Commerce Best Buy School every year from 1999 to 2008, and it was named the Head of the Class in 2008, only one in ten of Indiana's 350 public schools given this distinction.
Academics and curriculum
Hamilton Southeastern runs on a traditional schedule with seven classes per day beginning at 7:40 am and ending at 2:55 pm. There are three lunch periods during 5th period. In addition, there is a Student Mentor and Resource Time (SMaRT) period every Monday after third period, which is a special information period for freshmen and study hall for upperclassmen.
HSE offers most standard classes, as well as many classes with national programs. These include Project Lead the Way in both engineering and biomedical sciences and the Academy of Finance. Twenty-three different Advanced Placement classes are offered. 77 percent of students earned a score of 3 or higher on an AP exam.
HSE students create three different media throughout the year. The Royal print media are The Orb and The Sceptre. The Orb is a biweekly newspaper which highlights school, district, world, sports, and opinion topics, and The Sceptre is the school yearbook. In visual media, there is HSETV, which is a daily 6-minute video shown to all students in 2nd period with announcements and school sports news. All school media is created by students in respective in-school classes, rather than in clubs.
Hamilton Southeastern's performing arts department consists of bands, orchestras, and choirs. There are four bands, three orchestras, and five choirs. The Wind Ensemble band has played at Carnegie Hall in New York in 2001 and at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. in 2007. They were also the Indiana State School Music Association state champions in 2000.
The Royal Edition and Royal Sensation choirs earned first place at the Smoky Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
Activities and clubs
Many clubs are offered to students at Hamilton Southeastern High School. Student organizations include Student council, National Honor Society, Academic Teams, Math Team, Mock Trial Team, Speech Team, Destination Imagination, Film Club, Drama Club, Philosophy Club, Ping-Pong Club, French Club, Spanish Club, German Club, Key Club, World Connections Club, FFA, DECA, Interact Club, Military History Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Robotics Club, Cru, SWAG, the Ski-Snowboard Club, and the Principal's Advisory Council.
Club team awards
- The Quiz Bowl team became finalists at nationals in 2007 and 2010 and was also winner of the Cardinal Quiz Bowl on local television in 2005 and 2007. They were runner-up in 2007 and 2010 on the Brain Game, another locally televised tournament.
- The Hamilton Southeastern We the People team has attended the national competition in Washington D.C. four times. After winning the state competition, they went on to place fifth in 2005, 6th in 2007, and 5th in 2009. They won the state competition in 2008, setting the state record, with five of six units winning first place, and also earning largest point differential between first and second place teams.
- HSE has a nationally recognized Mock Trial team. They have been national champions in 2003, 2004, and 2006. They were also the national runner-up in 2002, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and fourth place in 2001 and 2005.
- Hamilton Southeastern High School has sent at least one Destination Imagination team to Global Finals at the University of Tennessee every year since 2006.
- Southeastern Rugby had a 12–2 season in 2008 and went on to win the Division II state title. Throughout the entire main season, they were never scored on at home, and they were undefeated against Division II teams. In their playoff run, the Royals shut out all opponents and outscored them 82–0.
- The Hamilton Southeastern FFA has many livestock and horse judging teams that often advance to state and national competitions. The FFA also sends students to national conferences, such as the Washington (D.C.) Leadership Conference, and other events where students from HSE set themselves apart from other FFA members. Over the last three years, the Hamilton Southeastern FFA has had two Indiana State FFA officers, Morgan Gadd and Shelby Riley.
- State Championships
- Football: 1981–82 (Class A)
- Girls Golf: 2003–04, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12
- Softball: 2006–07 (Class AAAA), 2009–10
- Boys Swimming: 2006–07
- Competitive Cheerleading: 1995, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
- State Runners-up
- Football: 1979–80 (A), 1997–98 (4A), 2005–06 (5A)
- Girls Golf: 2006–07, 2007–08
- Boys Swimming: 2007–08
- Girls Swimming: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
- Boys Cross Country: 2011-2012
- Boys Track and Field: 2011-2012
- Angela Buchman, meteorologist at WISH-TV
- Joe Reitz, Indianapolis Colts football player
- Chris Summers, Purdue Boilermakers Football
- Gary Harris, Denver Nuggets, basketball
- David (DSnell) Snelling, Sock Puppet Artist, Street Performer
- Zak Irvin, Michigan Wolverines, basketball
- John Stollmeyer, former US national soccer team player, head soccer coach at HSE
- John Wingfield, head USA Olympic diving coach at the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
- "Schools Recognized 2003 Through 2007". BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM. p. 10. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Silver Medal Winners 2008". U.S. News World Report. p. 9. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Best High Schools: Hamilton Southeastern High School". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- HSEHS on U.S. News & World Report 'Best High School' silver list
- Hamilton Southeastern High School, Fishers Indiana / IN school information
- "Indiana Chamber names HSEHS one of ten 'Head of the Class' schools". Hamilton Southeastern Schools. December 17, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Indiana Quiz Bowl History". Indiana Quiz Bowl. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "Westfield Insurance Brain Game". WTHR. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "HSEHS We the People team wins state contest". Hamilton Southeastern Schools. December 22, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-02-12. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
- "IHSAA". Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- WISH TV 8: Indianapolis News and Weather - Angela Buchman
- Chappell, Mike (September 10, 2010). "Reitz thrilled to join Colts". The Indianapolis Star. Archived from the original on 2010-10-13. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Olympic diving coach inspires local youth". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 14 August 2010.[dead link]