Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|• Zonal Headquarters||Mandi|
|• Total||5.2 km2 (2.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||738 m (2,421 ft)|
|• Density||3,385/km2 (8,770/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Hamirpur (Hindi: हमीरपुर ; Urdu: ہمیرپور) is a town and the district headquarters of Hamirpur district in the Himalayan state of Himachal Pradesh, India. Hamirpur is located in a relatively colder region in western Himachal Pradesh with a lower altitude as compared to the other districts of the state. It is bordered by Kangra to the north, Mandi to the east, Bilaspur to the south and Una to the west.
The exact geographical co-ordinates of Hamirpur is  and the average elevation is 738 m (2,421 ft).,
Hamirpur is mainly a hilly terrain.
Demographics of Hamirpur town
|% of district pop.||3.87%||4.17%||3.6%|
|% of state pop.||0.2564%||0.2601%||0.2527%|
|Sex ratio (per 1000)||944|
|Growth over 2001||2.04%||-2.91%||7.86%|
|Literates % of pop.||84.53%||86.16%||82.79%|
|Child (0-6 yrs) pop.||1606||838||768|
|Child (0-6 yrs) % of total pop.||9.12%||9.25%||8.98%|
|Child (0-6 yrs) sex ratio||916|
Una and Hamirpur were created mainly as a result of trifurcation of the erstwhile Kangra district on 1 September 1972, as a consequence where of two more new districts namely also from the then existing districts of Mahasu and Shimla, new districts of Shimla and Solan were formed by re-organising the boundaries of old districts.
Politics and Leaders
This segment of Himachal Pradesh is also known as politically hot segment in state politics. BJP had a greater influence on this particular region. In 1967, Kanshiram Thakur elected as first non congress MLA from this segment, Ramesh Verma of congress remain MLA from 1972 to 1977. Later in 1977, an advocate by profession Thakur Jagdev Chand (Nephew of Kanshiram Thakur) became the MLA of Hamirpur by defeating Ramesh Verma.
Thakur Jagdev Chand was a stalwart political figure of Himachal Pradesh, represented this constituency till December, 1993. Thakur Jagdev Chand died on 6 December 1993 just after a week he won his 5th election in a row, Thakur was the only minister in Shanta Kumar's cabinet who managed the victory whereas Shanta Kumar himself and rest of his cabinet were defeated in 1993 assembly elections. BJP just bagged 7 seats, Narinder Thakur (son of Jagdev Chand) contested unsuccessful bi-election in 1994, to whom BJP selected after his father sudden demise. Anita Verma of congress remained MLA till 1998. In 1998, BJP offered ticket to Mrs. Urmil Thakur, elder daughter in law of Thakur, and she successfully contested the election and remained on the post till 2003. Family dispute lead to the defeat of Urmil Thakur as Mr. Narinder Thakur contested election as an independent candidate an attracted over 10000 votes (a huge number where total number of votes were around 50000). Anita Verma of Congress became MLA of Hamirpur second time and remained on the post till December 2007.
Ex MLA Urmil Thakur (2007-2012) managed her victory on the BJP ticket and won December 2007 election along with full support of her brother in law Narinder Thakur this time, with a margin of 6901 votes. The sitting Chief Minister of Hiamchal Pradesh, Prem Kumar Dhumal managed to be on the post of Chief Minister in 1998 because of the strong ground prepared under leadership of Jagdev Chand, who was considered as a strongest contender of the post of chief minister after 1993 victory. As a tribute to leader who contributed a lot for the state government opened a Government Degree College at Sujanpur and Town Hall at Hamirpur which were named after Thakur Jagdev Chand. A very senior RSS member Thakur Ram Singh opened a history research institute at Neri and is also named after late Thakur Jagdev. Almost two decades have passed since Thakur died but his legacy and name still have considerable vote bank. Politics of Hamirpur can change as Narinder Thakur has joined the congress since Oct, 2008 and had openly revolted against the sitting P.K Dhumal. Anurag Thakur who won parliament bi election with a huge margin 1.75lack Aug 2008, his record margin was dropped by 1 lack votes in just 8 months. In May 2009 elections he won by 73000 votes when he contested against new congress candidate Narinder Thakur, despite of the fact on remaining 3 parliament seats in Himachal BJP improved.
In 2012 assembly election a new assembly segment was created after delimitation named Sujanpur, Urmil Thakur(BJP) and Anita Verma(Congress) contested unsuccessful election against an independent candidate Rajinder Rana sitting MLA of Sujanpur. Prem Kumar Dhumal sitting MLA decided to contest from Hamirpur and won by 9300 votes against Narinder Thakur.
Narinder Thakur joined BJP on March 24, 2014, in presence of Prem Kumar Dhumal and Urmil Thakur. Rajinder Rana joined Congress and contested 2014 Lok Sabha election against BJP's Anurag Thakur, Rajinder Rana lost this election. On April 13, 2014 Urmil Thakur quits BJP and joined Congress along with her son Rubal Thakur in presence of Chief Minister Virbhadra singh, she attacked Prem Kumar Dhumal and Anurag Thakur for promoting their family agenda and sidelining old grass root BJP workers. Narender Thakur(former ABVP president of HPU) contested from Sujanpur on BJP ticket in May 2014. Narender defeated Anita Rana, wife of Rajender Singh Rana who contested as Congress candidate by 538 votes. 
Hamirpur is now considered as a major education hub of Himachal Pradesh. It is the second most educated region in India where male literacy is 91% and female literacy is 76%.
- Hamirpur is home to the National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, a national level public technical university funded by the Government of India. It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programmes in engineering, science and management.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Memorial Government Postgraduate College; It offers undergraduate courses BA/BSc/BCom/BCA and few postgraduate courses in Social Sciences/Languages. This college is affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla.
- Government Polytechnic College Hamirpur; It offers three year diploma courses in Mechanical Engineering/Electrical engineering/Civil Engineering/Computer Engineering/Information Technology. This college is affiliated to Himachal Pradesh Board of Technical Education,Dari,Dharmshala.
- Government Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition Technology Hamirpur.
- carrier point university
Following is the list of notable Institutes/schools:
- The Magnet Public School :One of its kind inspiring youth and enhancing education with new concepts
- Sainik School Sujanpur Tira (Boys). One of the 18 such schools in India, here the students are selected after a written exam followed by interview and medical. The school is affiliated to CBSE Board.
- M.S.C. Senior Secondary School, Sujanpur Tira
- Government Senior Secondary School (Boys)
- Government Senior Secondary School (Girls)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- D.A.V Senior Secondary School,salasi
- Blue Star School
- Him Academy Public School
- GURUKUL PUBLIC SEN. SEC. SCHOOL
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Dungrin
- Silver bells sen. sec. school
- SD Public Sr. Sec. School
- Govt. sen. sec. school chabutra
- Parmarth International school
- Hamirpur Public School
Day Care/Play School
- Kids Galaxy Play School Hamirpur (www.kidsgps1.com)- First Day Care Center of Hamirpur City and Toddlers' Play School.
There are 2 major temples in the region.
Baba Balak Nath
This temple is situated in village Chakmoh of district Hamirpur. It is 45 Kilometers from Hamirpur and is on the border of Hamirpur and Bilaspur districts. It is one of famous temples of the Northern India.
Narvdeshwar Temple is situated in the Sujanpur town. It was built by the chief queen of Maharaja Sansar Chand. Artists belonging to the court of Raja have drawn vivid and beautiful pictures pertaining to Ramayana, Mahabharta & Bhagwat Puran.
- "WELCOME TO CENSUS OF INDIA : Census of India Library". Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India. Retrieved 8 September 2014. Note: Interactive application (no direct link available). For area/density, choose Census -> (year) -> Town Directory -> Himachal Pradesh -> Town directory Himachal Pradesh (unavailable for 2011, so area is reasonably assumed to be the same as 2001). For all other values, choose Census -> (year) -> Primary Census Abstract -> Primary Census Abstract Total -> Himachal Pradesh -> Hamirpur -> Primary Census Abstract Total.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Hamirpur
- Aditya Sharma
- Politics and Leaders
- RSS History Rewriting Institute
-  official Hamirpur district website