|Specialism||Creative & Digital Media and Information Technology|
|Local authority||London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham|
|DfE URN||136172 Tables|
Hammersmith Academy is a non-denominational, all-ability, co-educational secondary academy for 11-18 year olds specialising in Creative & Digital Media and Information Technology, located in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, West London, England.
Opened in September 2011, the Academy is jointly sponsored by the Worshipful Company of Mercers (the oldest Livery Company in the City of London) and the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists (the 100th Livery Company). This partnership provides extensive educational expertise and innovative business experience.
The Academy is based in a state-of-the-art four storey building which boasts facilities such as a Theatre, Sports Hall, Library, Fitness Suite and Digital Editing & IT suites.
In 2006, only 38% of local children in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham went to local state schools. This led the council to launch its Schools of Choice programme which aimed to provide more choice to meet the growing demand for school places in the borough and reduce the need for parents to send their children to schools outside of Hammersmith and Fulham.
Plans were later announced in 2007 for the building of a new academy within the borough which would be sponsored by the Mercers' Company and the Information Technologists Company. The new academy would open in September 2010 and be designed to accommodate up to 780 mixed ability students aged 11–18, with the site of the former Stamford House young offenders selected.
The opening was later pushed back to September 2011 and building work began in June 2009.
The Academy’s innovative building was specifically designed to create an exciting and inspiring learning environment, which is supported by specialist resources and challenges students to learn and improve.
The building encompasses:
- Large Learning Bases which provide flexible teaching areas for student groups
- Science Laboratories designed and equipped to provide large areas of accessible space for practical work
- Whiteboard technology in all teaching areas
- Independent Learning Centres with full access to online resources
- Video and Music editing space complete with green-screen and a radio station
- Two large technology workshops serviced by Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacture.
- Dance/Drama Studio with sprung floors and full length mirrors
- Theatre with tiered seating
- Multi Use Games Area and 250m running track
- Fitness Suite.
- Multi-purpose Sports Hall.
The Academy was rated as 'Good' with some 'Outstanding' features in its first Ofsted inspection despite being open less than 18 months.
The year groups are split into 5 classes. These are called Media Groups. They are M, E, D, I, A. For example,7M is a class.
- "Hammersmith Academy". London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham, UK. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "Hammersmith Academy". The Mercers' Company, City of London, UK. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "Hammersmith Academy". The Information Technologists' Company, City of London, UK. Retrieved October 14, 2011.