|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
Hanakia (Czech: Haná or Hanácko, German: Hanna or Hanakei) is an ethnic region in central Moravia in the Czech Republic. Its main parts are located in the lowlands of the Morava and Haná Rivers. It is roughly encircled by the cities of Zábřeh, Holešov, Vyškov and Uničov. Hanakia is primarily known for its agricultural productivity, costumes, and traditional customs. The Hanakian dialect (Czech: hanáčtina) is spoken in the region, and is part of the Central Moravian dialect group. This traditional dialect has been preserved and continues to be used even in printed publications from the region. Folk music from Hanakia is recognized locally by its lyrics in the Hanakian dialect.
Significant cities and places
- Olomouc - the center of Hanakia and the historical capital of Moravia.
- Přerov - the industrial town in Hanakia, well known as archeological significant place where hunters of mammoths settled in Předmostí. Among the town's famous residents was Jan Amos Komenský, known as the "father of modern education". It is common to see hop gardens, fields of poles, and wires around the town.
- Prostějov - nicknamed the "Manchester of Hanakia" and prior the Holocaust also "Jerusalem of Hanakia".
- Příkazy - the Hanakian Open Air Museum
- Svatý Kopeček - a pilgrimage place (Olomouc)
- Hrad Bouzov
- Hostýn - a pilgrimage place (Bystřice pod Hostýnem)
- Kroměříž - nicknamed the "Athens of Hanakia".
- Litovel - nicknamed the "Venice of Hanakia".
- Litovelské pomoraví
- Haná River valley - a right tributary of the Morava River
- Náměšť na Hané
- Javoříčské jeskyně
- Mladečské jeskyně
- Zámek Chropyně
- Zbrašovské aragonitové jeskyně
- Vyškov - formerly called Moravian Versailles or Versailles of Hanakia.
- "Holocaust v Prostějově". Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Welcoming Kromeriz boasts a UNESCO sight". Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Hanácké Benátky 2012". Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Vyškov". Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- (English) Central Moravia
- (Czech) Folklore from Hanakia
- (English) Folklore group Hanačka
- (Czech) about the Hanakian dialect