|• Mayor||Kenneth Nail|
|• Total||4.1 sq mi (10.6 km2)|
|• Land||4.1 sq mi (10.6 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||541 ft (165 m)|
|• Density||719.8/sq mi (278.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0119667|
Hanceville is located at (34.063463, -86.760908).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.1 square miles (11 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,951 people, 1,167 households, and 710 families residing in the city. The population density was 718.6 people per square mile (277.2/km²). There were 1,323 housing units at an average density of 322.2 per square mile (124.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.09% White, 4.61% Black or African American, 0.61% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.75% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 2.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,167 households out of which 24.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.8% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.1% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the city the population was spread out with 17.8% under the age of 18, 17.7% from 18 to 24, 22.0% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 21.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 87.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,351, and the median income for a family was $35,370. Males had a median income of $31,439 versus $18,112 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,371. About 12.5% of families and 21.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.9% of those under age 18 and 13.5% of those age 65 or over.
Hanceville High School serves 342 students in grades 9-12. The school colors are purple and gold, and its mascot are the Bulldogs. It is a member of the Cullman County Board of Education. In 2001 the Lady Bulldogs basketball team won the Alabama High School Athletic Association Class 3A State Championship.
Colleges and universities
- Mother Angelica - Cloistered in the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, founder of the Eternal Word Television Network
- Craig Kimbrel - closer for the Atlanta Braves went to community college in Hanceville at Wallace State Community College.
- Candi Staton - Soul and gospel singer.
- Bill Steltemeier - Founding President of the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bill Steltemeier, EWTN Founding President, Dies, 83; Deacon Served Network Since 1980". Multichannel News. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- Local website: The Hanceville News An Online Community Resource