Hand County, South Dakota
|Hand County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,440 sq mi (3,730 km2)|
|• Land||1,437 sq mi (3,721 km2)|
|• Water||4 sq mi (9 km2), 0.25%|
|• Density||3/sq mi (1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,440.2 square miles (3,730 km2), of which 1,436.4 square miles (3,720 km2) (or 99.7%) is land and 3.6 square miles (9.3 km2) (or 0.25%) is water.
- Faulk County, South Dakota - north
- Spink County, South Dakota - northeast
- Beadle County, South Dakota - east
- Jerauld County, South Dakota - southeast
- Buffalo County, South Dakota - southwest
- Hyde County, South Dakota - west
The 2010 census recorded a population of 3,431 in the county, with a population density of 2.3883/sq mi (0.92212/km2). There were 1,815 housing units, of which 1,494 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,741 people, 1,543 households, and 1,050 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,840 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 99.30% White, 0.03% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.32% from two or more races. 0.29% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,543 households out of which 28.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.90% were married couples living together, 4.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.90% were non-families. 30.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.60% under the age of 18, 5.10% from 18 to 24, 22.30% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 24.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 96.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,377, and the median income for a family was $38,017. Males had a median income of $26,335 versus $16,181 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,735. About 6.10% of families and 9.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.90% of those under age 18 and 10.50% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Miller (Population:1,489)
- Ree Heights (Population:62)
- St. Lawrence (Population:198)
- Wessington (Population:170)
The county is divided into forty townships: Alden, Alpha, Bates, Burdette, Campbell, Carlton, Cedar, Como, Florence, Gilbert, Glendale, Grand, Greenleaf, Hiland, Holden, Hulbert, Linn, Logan, Midland, Miller, Mondamin, Ohio, Ontario, Park, Pearl, Plato, Pleasant Valley, Ree Heights, Riverside, Rockdale, Rose Hill, St. Lawrence, Spring Hill, Spring Lake, Wheaton, and York; and one area of unorganized territory: Northwest Hand.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 148.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
||Faulk County||Spink County|
|Hyde County||Beadle County|
|Buffalo County||Jerauld County|