Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt
|Founded||1945 in Youngstown, Ohio|
|Headquarters||Canfield, Ohio, United States|
Number of locations
|Slogan||31 Flavors (company slogan)
Yay! (advertising slogan)
Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt is a popular ice cream company franchise founded by Alice Handel in 1945 in Youngstown, Ohio. The company operates thirty-seven corporate and franchise stores in six states. Today it is owned by Leonard Fisher and maintains a corporate headquarters in Canfield, Ohio.
Its success has been reported in various publications including travelchannel.com, which recognized Handel's as "One of the Best Ice Cream Parlors in the Country." In 2002, USA Today rated Handel's as one of the top ten best ice cream businesses in the country.
The original location is still in Youngstown, Ohio, located on Handel's Court on Youngstown's South Side. It has been described by Ohio Restaurant News as "The Busiest Ice Cream Stand in America". Chocolatier Magazine distinguished Handel's as "One of the Best Ice Creams in America." In 2006, National Geographic named Handel's the #1 Ice Cream in its '10 Best of Everything' book.
- "Handel's a Main Line Treat". The Villanovan. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Handel's Locations". Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Handel's In The News". Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "Here's the Scoop". Kent News Net. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- "They All Scream for Ice Cream in D.C.". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2008-07-17.