Hang Me Up to Dry
|"Hang Me Up To Dry"|
|Single by Cold War Kids|
|from the album Robbers & Cowards|
|B-side||"Every Valley Is Not A Lake"|
|Released||January 29, 2007
July 9, 2007 (re-release)
|Format||Digital download, CD, 7"|
|Recorded||2006 at Tackyland in Long Beach, California|
|Genre||Indie rock, blues rock|
|Writer(s)||Cold War Kids|
Cold War Kids
|Cold War Kids singles chronology|
"Hang Me Up to Dry" is a song recorded by American indie rock band Cold War Kids. Written and co-produced by all four band members and Matt Wignall, it originally came from their third EP Up in Rags and is the second track off their debut album Robbers & Cowards. Lyrically, the song tells a story about a 'one-sided relationship' and uses the action of hanging wet clothes on a clothesline as a metaphor for the relationship.
It was released as a single on January 29, 2007 by Downtown and V2 Records, charting at number 57 in the UK and number 26 on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart. The song was re-released (using the same catalogue number and track listing) on July 9, 2007 but failed to break back into the charts. It was voted number 8 in the Triple J Hottest 100 in 2007, alongside "Hospital Beds" which was voted number 37.
According to the sheet music published at Musicnotes.com by Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the song is set in 4/4 time with a tempo of 92 beats per minute. It is composed in the key of E minor with lead singer Nathan Willett's vocal range spanning from the low-note of E4 to the high-note of B5.
Directed by The Malloys, the video plays like an avant-garde film trailer where its shot in black and white and shows made up film review quotes and festival awards. The video was uploaded on their record label's YouTube page on January 23, 2007.
Cold War Kids made their U.S. television debut performing "Hang Me Up To Dry" on Late Night with David Letterman on December 21, 2006. They performed the song again on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on April 10, 2007. They made their U.K. television debut performing "Hang Me Up to Dry" and "Tell Me in the Morning" on Later... with Jools Holland on May 18, 2007.
In popular culture
- The song was covered by English singer Kate Nash.
- The song was used in the pilot episode of The CW series Gossip Girl.
- The song was used in the season 4 episode "Charlie Don't Surf" of the CBS series Numb3rs.
- USA Network utilized the track in promoting the second half of Burn Notice's third season.
- The song is a playable track in the 2009 music video game Band Hero.
- The song was used in the season 2 episode "Multiple Choices" of The CW series 90210.
- UK CD
- 1. "Hang Me Up to Dry" – 3:40
- 2. "Every Valley Is Not A Lake" – 3:23
- 3. "Well Well Well" – 4:09
- 4. "Heavy Boots" – 4:14
- UK 7" Vinyl
- A "Hang Me Up to Dry" – 3:40
- B "Every Valley Is Not A Lake" – 3:23
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||57|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 (Billboard)||22|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||26|
- "Cold War Kids – Hang Me Up To Dry Sheet Music (Digital Download)". Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Cold War Kids: From Blogs to Bonnaroo". Jambands.com. December 22, 2006. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Cold War Kids – Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien – Hang Me Up To Dry". Idobi. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "BBC Two – Later... with Jools Holland, Series 29, Episode 3". BBC. Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Hottest 100 2007". Triple J. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry (CD)". Discogs. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- "Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry (Vinyl)". Discogs. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "Cold War Kids – Artist Chart History". British Phonographic Industry and Entertainment Retailers Association. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Cold War Kids – Chart History: Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- "Cold War Kids – Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved October 28, 2010.