Hangzhou International School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Hangzhou International School (杭州 国际 学校 háng-zhōu guó-jì xué-xiào) is a Nursery through 12th grade institution serving the local expat population in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China. The school campus, located on the grounds of the highly respected Hangzhou Number Two Middle School, is fully equipped and staffed to offer a comprehensive international program. The curriculum, taught in English and structured on the American format (and offering Advanced Placement courses), benefits from the cooperation of its sister schools of the International School Development Foundation (ISDF) and the Shanghai Community International Schools, who work together to standardize resources and programming. Coordinates:
|Hangzhou International School|
|Motto||Can You Hear it? Dragon Spirit!|
|Location||Hangzhou, Zhejiang, Peoples Republic of China|
|Colors||Blue and Yellow|
|Athletics||ACAMIS Division 5|
Hangzhou International School was founded in 2001 as a sister school to the Shanghai Community International Schools. It had an initial enrollment of 15 students in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 4 and currently serves over 300 students in Nursery through 12th grade. HIS had its first graduating class in 2007 of 3 students, 4 students in 2008, 6 graduates in 2009, and 7 graduates in 2010, 9 graduates in 2011,and, 10 graduates in 2012
HIS features western-style fully equipped classrooms, multiple state-of-the-art computer labs, science labs, play fields, a new gymnasium, and a library - all of which compare very favorably to other similar sized international schools around the world.
HIS has a faculty of around 40. All teachers are certified in their subject area.
Hangzhou International School accepts Pre-School through 5th grade students on a space-available basis for an English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) program designed for beginning English speakers. These students will participate in most mainstream classes and will receive ESOL support during English and Foreign Language classes. A limited number of beginning English speakers in grades 6-8 will be enrolled into the Transitional English Program (TEP.) Students who apply for grade 8 must have English proficiency and have a school record that indicates that they can succeed in a rigorous English-speaking environment. All high school applicants (grades 9-12) must have a strong command of the English language. Families are strongly advised to contact the school to determine if space is available before making applications or plans to relocate.
Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
- HIS currently offers ten (10) AP courses: AP Psychology, AP English Literature and Composition, AP English Language and Composition, AP European History, AP Environmental Science, AP Economics, AP Mandarin, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry and AP Physics.
- AP course choices rotate on a yearly basis. Students can potentially graduate with 10 + AP course credits.
- Mr. Robert van der Eyken is the current Head of School at Hangzhou International School.
- Previous Heads of schools include Mr. Kurt Kahlenbeck, and Dr. Brian Horvath.
- Mr. Kory Indahl & Mr. Charles Bellomy are Vice Principals. Mr. Kory Indahl is also the College Counselor.
- The superintendent of HIS is Mr. Jeffry Stubbs who also oversees the Shanghai Community International Schools in Shanghai as part of a single system of schools sharing a common curriculum and mission.