|Name:|| Hanjin Venezia (2010)
MSC Venezia (2008)
Hanjin Venezia (2008)
Cosco Busan (2006)
Hanjin Cairo (2001)
|Owner:||Regal Stone Ltd.|
|Operator:||Synergy Management Ltd.|
|Builder:||Ulsan, South Korea|
|Identification:||Call sign: VRDI6
CGMIX ID: 512403
IMO number: 9231743
MMSI no.: 477968900
|Length:||265 m (869 ft)|
|Beam:||40 m (130 ft)|
|Draught:||14 m (46 ft)|
|Speed:||25.9 kn (48.0 km/h; 29.8 mph)|
Hanjin Venezia, formerly Cosco Busan, is a 275 m (902 ft) container ship. On 7 November 2007 it collided with the protective fender of the Delta Tower of the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in heavy fog. The collision sliced open two fuel tanks and led to the Cosco Busan oil spill in San Francisco Bay. She was renamed Hanjin Venezia after the accident.
The vessel was built in 2001 by Hyundai Heavy Industries at Ulsan, South Korea. In December 2001, the vessel was placed under long-term charter to Hanjin Shipping Co., Ltd. of Seoul, South Korea and named Hanjin Cairo. The vessel called on various ports of Europe, Asia, and along the West Coast of the United States, specifically the Ports of Long Beach and Oakland, California.
In November 2006, owners renamed Hanjin Cairo to Cosco Busan. After a 3-year absence from U.S. ports, Cosco Busan called upon the Port of Long Beach on December 29, 2006. On October 24, 2007 the vessel was sold to Regal Stone Ltd. of Hong Kong and was re-flagged to the national flag of Hong Kong. Cosco Busan's new owners contracted with Fleet Management to supply an all-Chinese crew and to manage technical operations of the ship on the owner’s behalf.
- "Results for Vessel: MSC Venezia'". CGMIX PSIX. United States Coast Guard. 2010. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Hanjin Venezia". VesselTracker. 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- John Upton (27 May 2009). "Prisoners of the COSCO Busan". The East Bay Express. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- John Upton (24 July 2008). "Shipowners Charged With Lying". The San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- Rosenker, Mark V.; Sumwalt, Robert L.; Higgins, Kathryn O'Leary; Hersman, Deborah A. P. (18 February 2009). Marine Accident Report: Allision of Hong Kong-Registered Containership M/V Cosco Busan with the Delta Tower of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge, San Francisco, California, November 7, 2007 (.PDF). NTSB/MAR-09/01. National Transportation Safety Board. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- The COSCO Busan collision course towards the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge
- Cosco Busan Natural Resource Damage Assessment
- MSC Venezia (IMO #9231743) at the Shipping Database (subscription required)
- MSC Venezia (IMO 9231743) image gallery at Shipspotting.com