Hank Steinberg is an American television and film writer, producer and director.
Hank Steinberg was born on November 19, 1969 in Manhasset, New York and raised in Great Neck, New York. He graduated from Great Neck North High School in 1987 and attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he majored in English. At Penn, he was a sportswriter for the Daily Pennsylvanian before he made the jump to screenwriting.
In 1997, Steinberg pitched the idea for 61* to HBO, a biopic about the legendary home-run race between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle of the '61 Yankees. A lifetime Yankees fan, he got the idea for the film while strolling through Monument Park at the old Yankee Stadium. The following year, Billy Crystal came aboard as a producer on the project and subsequently directed the film, starring Thomas Jane and Barry Pepper. 61* garnered 12 Emmy nominations, including Best Motion Picture for Television and Best Writing. Steinberg was also nominated for a WGA Award for the film.
Following 61*, Steinberg wrote RFK for FX, starring Linus Roache, Ving Rhames and James Cromwell and then created the CBS show Without a Trace. During his tenure as executive producer and show-runner, the show won several Emmy awards and a Golden Globe for lead actor Anthony LaPaglia, as well as earning a SAG and Humanitas nomination. Steinberg executive produced and show-ran Without a Trace for the first three and a half seasons, at which time he left the show to create and executive produce the ABC series The Nine, which he wrote with his sister, KJ Steinberg. The Nine, while critically acclaimed, lasted only seven episodes, but was subsequently purchased by Direct TV where it gained a second life.
In 2010, Harper Collins purchased the rights to Steinberg's forthcoming novel, Out of Range, making a two-book deal for a potential franchise for the publisher. The book rights were subsequently sold to Paramount Pictures, where he is adapting the screenplay.
- Daily Pennsylvanian http://www.thedp.com/article/2001/09/from_penn_to_hollywood_steinberg_hits_a_home_run_with_hbo
- IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250934/
- IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250934/awards
- Writer's Guild of America http://www.wga.org/writtenby/writtenbysub.aspx?id=840
- IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321021/awards
- Variety http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025587
- Deadline.com http://m.deadline.com/2010/10/paramount-buys-book-proposal-by-without-a-trace-creator/
- Deadline.com http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/tnt-tbs-announce-development-slates-2/