Hanken School of Economics
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2014)|
|Hanken School of Economics|
|Affiliations||EQUIS, AMBA, PRME, EDAMBA, EIASM|
The Hanken School of Economics (Swedish: Svenska handelshögskolan, "Hanken") is a Finnish business school located in Helsinki and Vasa, Finland. The school was founded in 1909 under the name Högre Svenska Handelsläroverket and was given its current name in 1927. Hanken has two campuses, one in Helsinki and one in Vaasa.
Hanken has five departments: Accounting and Commercial Law, Economics, Finance and Statistics, Management and Organisation, Marketing. The School also has a Centre for Languages and Business Communication.
Studies in Swedish on the bachelor and master level at Hanken gives the student the choice of 10 different majors:
Hanken currently offers eight master’s degree programmes in English.
Hanken offers PhD education within all of its 10 majors. The degree corresponds to four years of full-time study. Approximately one year consists of course work while the remaining part is focused on thesis work.
Hanken MBA is an accredited executive MBA programme. There are different streams within the programme; Finance, International Management and Service and Relationship Marketing. The programme was awarded the AMBA accreditation in 2008. Hanken offers tailor-made courses to companies within the framework of Hanken & SSE Executive Education. Hanken & SSE Executive Education was founded in 2005 by Hanken and IFL at Stockholm School of Economics.
Hanken has approximately 70 partner universities for student exchange around the globe. Every year some 100 students from Hanken spend one semester or a full academic year abroad. Hanken also receives approximately 100 exchange students yearly.
Hanken researchers are engaged in basic, applied as well as commissioned research. Hanken excels in four main areas:
- Finance and Statistics
- Intellectual Property Law
- Management and Organisation
- Service and Relationship Marketing
Research and knowledge centres
The research and competence centres at Hanken co-ordinate education, promote research and offer a wide range of services in information and executive education.
- CEFIR – Centre for Financial Research
- CERS – Centre for Relationship Marketing and Service Management
- CIEL – The Centre of International Economic Law
- HCCG - Hanken Centre for Corporate Governance
- HECER – Helsinki Centre of Economic Research
- HUMLOG Institute – Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Research Institute
- IPR University Centre
- Lingua Hanken
- Björn Wahlroos – Professor & Banker
- Carl Haglund – Minister
- Elisabeth Rehn – former MP of the Swedish People's Party and the first woman as the Minister of Defence in Finland
- Hans Wind – Businessman and famous fighter pilot in World War II
- Harry Harkimo - Businessman
- Henrik Lax – Former member of the European Parliament
- Jan Vapaavuori – Minister and MP
- Mikael Lilius – CEO of Fortum
- Niklas Savander – Member of the Nokia Group Executive Board
- Lenita Airisto – Author, former Miss Finland and fashion model
- Petri Kokko – Former figure skater, current country manager for Google.
- Christian Grönroos – Relationship marketing professor named as a Legend in Marketing.
Rankings & Accreditations
EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) is an international programme for the assessment of European education in economic and business sciences. Hanken was awarded the EQUIS accreditation in 2000. The accreditation was renewed in 2005. The accreditation proves that Hanken meets the highest requirements of quality in teaching, research, internationalisation and co-operation with the business community. Moreover, it indicates that Hanken creates and disseminates knowledge of the highest standard and that Hanken actively collaborates with its surrounding society.
Hanken was awarded the AMBA-accreditation in 2008. The accreditation demonstrates that Hanken MBA holds the highest international standard.
The Student union at Hanken (SHS) was founded in 1909 under the name Kamratföreningen Niord. Today the student union has some 2 000 members.
- "Hanken School of Economics". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Study towards both a Bachelor and Master of Science in Economics
- "Business school detail - Association of MBAs". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Hanken MBA
- "Start - Hanken & SSE Executive Education". Hanken & SSE Executive Education. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Competence Centres at Hanken
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - FT.com". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- EQUIS-accredited Business Schools
- "Error". Retrieved 31 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration.|
- Official site
- Hanken MBA homepage
- Svenska Handelshögskolans Studentkår – The Student Union's portal
- Hanken alumnnätverk