Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir
|Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir|
|Minister of the Interior|
23 May 2013 – 4 December 2014
|Prime Minister||Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson|
|Preceded by||Ögmundur Jónasson|
|Succeeded by||Ólöf Nordal|
|Born||12 October 1966
|Political party||Independence Party|
|Spouse(s)||Vilhjálmur Jens Árnason|
|Alma mater||University of Iceland
Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir (12 October 1966) is an Icelandic politician. She was the Minister of Interior after getting elected to the Althing (Icelandic parliament) in 2013 and was Mayor of Reykjavík from 21 August 2008 to 15 June 2010. She represents the Independence Party (sjálfstæðisflokkur).
On 21 November 2014 she resigned as Minister of the Interior as a response of a scandal where her political assistant leaked information and slander regarding asylum seeker on 20 November 2013. The resignition took effect on 4 December 2014. The assistant pleaded guilty for the Reykjavík district court on 11 November 2014. On the day of the resignation a report from the Ombudsman was still pending, Ombudsman started his investigation when he learned of communication between the Minister and the Chief of Police regarding the investigation of the leak.
She obtained a Bachelor degree in Political science at the University of Iceland in 1991. After that, she got a Master of Science in International and European Politics from Edinburgh University (1993).
- "Independents to Vote New Chair and Vice-Chair". Iceland Review. 21 April 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir" (in Icelandic). Retrieved 30 April 2010.
- "Forsetaúrskurður um breytingu á forsetaúrskurði nr. 72/2013, um skiptingu starfa ráðherra, sbr. forsetaúrskurð um breytingu á þeim úrskurði nr. 90/2014." (in Icelandic). Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Assistant pleads Guilty". Kjarninn. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Umbudsman delays report due to new information date=19 November 2014". DV. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Hanna Birna resigns=21 November 2014". Vísir. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
Ólafur F. Magnússon
|Mayor of Reykjavík
August 2008 – June 2010
|This article about a mayor in Iceland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|