||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013)|
|Nationality||U.S. and Portuguese|
|Institutions||University of Southern California|
|Alma mater||University of Lisbon|
|Notable awards||Pessoa Prize (1992)|
Hanna Damásio is University Professor (an award based on multi-disciplinary interests and significant accomplishments in several disciplines), Dana Dornsife Chair in Neuroscience, and Professor of Psychology and Neurology at the University of Southern California where she directs the Dornsife Neuroimaging Center.” She is also an adjunct professor at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California. Until 2005, she was a Distinguished Professor of Neurology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine, where she directed the Human Neuroanatomy and Neuroimaging Laboratory.
Using computerized tomography and magnetic resonance scanning, she developed methods of investigating human brain structure and studied functions such as language, memory, and emotion, using both the lesion method and functional neuroimaging. This work resulted in numerous scientific articles which appeared in leading journals. In 1989, she published "Lesion Analysis in Neuropsychology" (Oxford University Press), a classic textbook for which she received the Prize for Outstanding Book of the Year in Bio and Medical Sciences from the Association of American Publishers. Her continued interest in human neuroanatomy led her to develop the first atlas of the human brain based on computer tomography images: "Human Brain Anatomy in Computerized Images", also published by Oxford University Press. The book is a recognized reference now in its second edition.
Damásio received an M.D. from the University of Lisbon Medical School in 1969, where she also trained in Neurology. She began her studies in cognitive neuroscience with Norman Geschwind at the Aphasia Research Center, in Boston.
She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and of the American Neurological Association. In 2004, she shared the Signoret Prize in cognitive neuroscience for pioneering work in social cognition. In 2010 she was a co-recipient of the Cozzarelli Prize from the National Academy of Sciences, attributed to the best article in behavioral neuroscience published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2009. She holds honorary doctorates from the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Swiss Institute of Technology), the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona), and the Universities of Lisbon and Aachen. She is married to António Damásio, an internationally-renowned neurologist and expert in the relationship between emotion and cognition, with whom she co-directs the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California.
In her rare spare time she is a sculptor.
Selected books and articles
Web of Knowledge H Index (Damasio H*): 74; over 25,000 citations)
- Man K, Kaplan J.T., Damásio H, Damásio A. Neural convergence and divergence in themammalian cerebral cortex: from experimental neuroanatomy to functionalneuroimaging . Journal of Comparative Neurology, October, 2013.
- Zhuang J,Lu ZL,Vidal CB,Damásio H. "Correction of eddy current distortions in high angular resolution diffusion imaging. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, November 21, 2012, article doi:10.1002/jmri.23929
- "An invariant shape representation using the anisotropic Helmholtz equation.". Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 15 (Pt 3): 607–14. 2012. PMID 23286181.
- Yang, Y; Joshi, AA; Joshi, SH; Baker, LA; Narr, KL; Raine, A; Thompson, PM; Damásio, H. (2012). "Genetic and environmental influences on cortical thickness among 14-year-old twins". NeuroReport 23 (12): 702–6. doi:10.1097/WNR.0b013e328355a62a. PMID 22713927.
- Gläscher, J; Adolphs, R; Damásio, H; Bechara, A; Rudrauf, D; Calamia, M; Paula, LK; Tranel, D. (Sep 2012). "Lesion mapping of cognitive control and value-based decision making in the prefrontal cortex". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109 (36): 14681–14686. doi:10.1073/pnas.1206608109. PMID 22908286.
- "Persistence of feelings and sentience after bilateral damage of the insula." 23 (4). Apr 2013. pp. 833–46. doi:10.1093/cercor/bhs077. PMC 3657385. PMID 22473895. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhs077
- Aziz-Zadeh, L; Sheng, T; Liew, SL; Damásio, H (2011). "Understanding Otherness: The Neural Bases of Action Comprehension and Pain Empathy in a Congenital Amputee". Cereb. Cortex 22 (4): 811–819. doi:10.1093/cercor/bhr139.
- Damásio H: Human Brain Anatomy in Computerized Images, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, New York, 2005. doi:10.1093/cercor/bhr139 PMID 21734252
- KMeyer, JT Kaplan, R Essex, H Damásio, A Damásio. Seeing touch is correlated with content-specific activity in primary sensory cortex" Cerebral Cortex 21:2113–2121 doi:10.1093/cercor/bhq289 PMID 21330469
- Meyer, K; Kaplan, J.T.; Essex, R; Webber, C; Damásio, H; Damásio, A (2010). "Predicting visual stimuli on the basis of activity in auditory cortices". Nature Neuroscience 13 (6): 667–668. doi:10.1038/nn.2533. PMID 20436482.
- YoungL, Bechara A, Tranel D, Damásio H, Hauser M, Damásio A. "Damage to ventromedial prefrontal cortex impairs judgment of harmful intent. Neuron vol 65, 1 –7, March, 2010 doi:10.1016/j.neuron.2010.03.003 PMID 20346759
- Gläscher J, Rudrauf D, Colom R, Paul LK, TranelD, Damásio H, Adolphs R. "Distributed neural system for general intelligence revealed by lesion mapping. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences vol. 107 no. 10 pp 4705–4709, March 9, 2010 http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/02/05/0910397107.abstract
- Anand A.Joshi, Dimitrios Pantazis, Quanzheng Li, Hanna Damásio, David W. Shattuck, Arthur W. Toga, Richard M. Leahy. "Sulcal set optimization forcortical surface registration, NeuroImage,Volume 50, Issue 3, 15 April, pp 950–959, 2010 doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2009.12.064 PMID 20056160
- Pantazis D, Joshi A, Jintao J, Shattuck D, Bernstein L, Damásio H, Leahy R. "Comparison of landmark-based and automatic methods for cortical surface registration, NeuroImage Vol 49, Issue 3, pp 2479–2493,2010 doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2009.09.027 PMID 19796696
- Bechara, A, Tranel, D, and Damásio, H. "Characterization of the decision-making deficit of patients with ventromedial prefrontal cortex lesions. Brain, 132: p. 1289, 2000. 2009. http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/123/11/2189
- Allen JS, Bruss J, Mehta S, Grabowski T, Damásio H (2008). "Effects of spatial transformation on regional brain volume estimates". Neuroimage 42: 535–547. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2008.05.047.
- Naqvi N, Rudrauf D, Damásio H, Bechara A (2007). "Damage to the insula disrupts addiction to cigarette smoking". Science 315: 531–534. doi:10.1126/science.1135926. PMC 3698854. PMID 17255515.
- Fiez JA, Tranel D, Seager-Frerichs D, Damásio H (2006). "Specific reading and phonological processing deficits are associated with damage to the left frontal operculum". Cortex 4: 1–20.
- Allen JS, Bruss J, Brown CK, Damásio H (2005). "Normal neuroanatomical variation due to age: The major lobes and parcellation of the temporal region". Neurobiology of Aging 26: 1245–1260. doi:10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2005.05.023.
- Tranel D, Damásio H, Denburg N, Bechara A (2005). "Does gender play a role in functional asymmetry of ventromedial prefrontal cortex?". Brain 128: 2872–2881. doi:10.1093/brain/awh643.
- Tranel D, Grabowski TJ, Lyon J, Damásio H (2005). "Naming the same entities from visual or from auditory stimulation engages similar regions of left inferotemporal cortices". Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 17 (8): 1293–305. doi:10.1162/0898929055002508. PMID 16197684.
- Damásio H, Tranel D, Grabowski TJ, Adolphs R, Damásio AR (2004). "Neural systems behind word and concept retrieval". Cognition 92 (1–2): 179–229. doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2002.07.001. PMID 15037130.
- Semendeferi K, Lu A, Schenker N, Damásio H (2002). "Humans and great apes share a large frontal cortex". Nature Neuroscience 5 (3): 272–276. doi:10.1038/nn814. PMID 11850633.
- Semendeferi K, Damásio H (2000). "The brain and its main anatomical subdivisions in living hominoids using magnetic resonance imaging". Journal of Human Evolution 38 (2): 317–332. doi:10.1006/jhev.1999.0381. PMID 10656781.
- Anderson SW, Bechara A, Damásio H, Tranel D, Damásio AR (1999). "Impairment of social and moral behavior related to early damage in human prefrontal cortex". Nature Neuroscience 2 (11): 1032–1037. doi:10.1038/14833. PMID 10526345.
- Bechara A, Damásio H, Tranel D, Damásio AR (1997). "Deciding advantageously before knowing the advantageous strategy". Science 275 (5304): 1293–1294. doi:10.1126/science.275.5304.1293. PMID 9036851.
- Damásio H, Grabowski TJ, Tranel D, Hichwa R, Damásio AR (1996). "A neural basis for lexical retrieval". Nature 380 (6574): 499–505. doi:10.1038/380499a0. PMID 8606767.
- Damásio H, Grabowski T, Frank R, Galaburda AM, Damásio AR (1994). "The return of Phineas Gage: Clues about the brain from the skull of a famous patient". Science 264 (5162): 1102–1105. doi:10.1126/science.8178168. PMID 8178168.
- Damásio H, Frank R (1992). "Three-dimensional in vivo mapping of brain lesions in humans". Archives of Neurology 49 (2): 137–143. doi:10.1001/archneur.1992.00530260037016. PMID 1736845.
- Damásio AR, Damásio H (1992). "Brain and Language". Scientific American 267 (3): 89–95. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0992-88.