Hannah Waddingham is an English actress and singer. She is best known for her contribution to West End musical theatre, particularly her performances in the original London production of Spamalot, A Little Night Music, Into The Woods, and most recently, The Wizard of Oz as the Wicked Witch of the West. She has received three Olivier Award nominations for her work. She has also had a successful film and television career. In 2015 she will join the cast of the fifth season of the HBO series Game of Thrones as Septa Unella.
However, it is for her portrayal of the Lady of the Lake in Spamalot (a role she originated in London) and continued on Broadway,for which she is best known, and for which she received an Olivier Award nomination for her efforts. She received outstanding reviews for her portrayal of Desirée Armfeldt in Trevor Nunn's acclaimed revival of A Little Night Music, including being described by one critic as the "Joanna Lumley of musical theatre". Waddingham subsequently received a further Olivier Award nomination in 2010 for Best Actress in a Musical for her performance in Night Music.
She originated the role of The Wicked Witch of the West in the West End production of The Wizard of Oz, which opened on 1 March 2011 at the London Palladium. She left the production on 4 September 2011 and was replaced by her understudy, Marianne Benedict. Waddingham won the whatsonstage.com Theatergoers Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical for her performance.
Waddingham's screen credits include:
- Game of Thrones TV series (2015) – Septa Unella
- Benidorm TV Series (2014) – Tonya Dyke
- Les Misérables film (2012) – Factory Worker
- My Family TV Series (2010–11 / 3 episodes) – Katie
- Not Going Out TV series (2011) "Movie" episode – Jane
- Agatha Christie's Marple TV series (2011) – Lola Brewster
- How to Lose Friends & Alienate People film (2008) – Elizabeth Maddox
- Doctors TV series (2008) – Dixie Deadman
- My Hero TV series (2003 and 2006) – Lula / Miranda / Thermowoman
- Hollyoaks: Let Loose TV series (2005) – Mrs. Robertson
- Footballers' Wives TV series (2005) – Jools
- William and Mary TV series (2005) – Penelope
- Coupling TV series (2002) – Jenny Turbot
- "British actress cast as Septa Unella". Watchers on the Wall. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "HANNAH WADDINGHAM in into The Woods". Silversea Media. pp. westendtheatre.com. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Bassett, Kate (7 December 2008). "A Little Night Music, Menier Chocolate Factory, London". The Independent (London). Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- "Olivier awards nominations". The Guardian (London). 8 February 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Into the Woods wins Best Musical Revival
- Second chance to see Into The Woods
- Hannah Waddingham, Paul Keating and More Cast in London Palladium's New Wizard of Oz
- Marianne Benedict taking over from Hannah Waddingham in Wizard of Oz
- Full List: 2012 Whatsonstage.com Award winners
- Dominic Cavendish (28 June 2012). "Kiss Me Kate, Chichester Festival Theatre, review". The Telegraph. Telegraph Media. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 242. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.