(photo: Svein Olav Hyttebakk)
Hanne Margrethe Fredriksen Sørvaag is a Norwegian singer/songwriter born in Stavanger, Norway, 27 December 1979. For many years she based in Stockholm, Sweden mostly composing for other artists via Universal. Today she works from Oslo, Norway and has a career as a recording and performing artist.
She released her first album, You Know Me (Sony/Columbia), under the artist name Paris in 2002, an album that gave her three fair radio hits in Norway. Her second album, Talk of the Town (Diamond Road Music), was released in 2006 under her own name. The first single from the album was "I Don't Feel a Thing".
Apart from her career as a performing artist, she's also been successful writing for other artists, notably "My Destiny" (co-written by Tim Baxter and Harry Sommerdahl), which was performed by Katharine McPhee in the American Idol finals in 2006. Several other international and Norwegian artists have performed her songs. She often cites Sheryl Crow as a major influence on her music.
In 2012 she released an album with her own versions of songs she had written for other artists, Cover me. In Norway this has been her most successful album to date, making the top 10 of the national chart.
In March 2008, the song "Disappear" composed by Hanne and Danish songwriters Thomas Troelsen and Remee won the German preselection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2008 performed by No Angels. The song therefore represented Germany in the Eurovision final in Belgrade on 24 May 2008. This is not the first time she has been involved in Eurovision, having co-written the song "You Got A Hold On Me" sung by Linda Kvam in the Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix in 2003.
Along with Harry Sommerdahl and Chistian Leuzzi, Hanne Sørvaag also wrote the Georgian entry, "Shine", sung by to the Sofia Nizharadze. The Georgian entry finished third in the second semifinal, thus qualifying for the Grand Final, where it finished 9th, Georgia's first top 10 result in the Contest.
Hanne has composed, 'Twilight' for the singer Soraya Arnelas who represented Spain at the Eurovision Song Contest 2009.
Melodi Grand Prix 2011
She participated in the Melodi Grand Prix 2011 with two songs, "You’re like a melody", which was written and sung by her, and with "Guns & Boys", which was co-written by her and sung by Carina Dahl.
Eurovision Song Contest entries
- "Disappear" by No Angels, Germany, (Eurovision Song Contest 2008), 23rd place
- "My Heart Is Yours" by Didrik Solli-Tangen, Norway, (Eurovision Song Contest 2010), 20th place
- "Shine" by Sofia Nizharadze, Georgia, (Eurovision Song Contest 2010), 9th place
Entries in national Eurovision pre-selections
- "You've Got A Hold On Me" by Linda Kvam (Norway 2003), 5th place
- "Tricky" by Velvet Inc. (Norway 2009)
- "Do It Again" by Foxy (Norway 2009)
- "You're Like a Melody" by Hanne Sørvaag (Norway 2011)
- "Guns & Boys" by Carina Dahl (Norway 2011)
- "Make It Better" by Tommy Fredvang (Norway 2012)
|2002||You Know Me||–|
|2006||Talk of the Town||–|
|2012||All Is Forgiven||14|
- Kirkpatrick Green, Simon (2010-02-06). "Didrik Solli-Tangen wins Norwegian final!". EBU. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- Klier, Marcus (2010-02-06). "Norway sends Didrik Solli-Tangen to Eurovision". ESCToday. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- Grillhofer, Florian (2010-02-27). "Sofia to sing Shine at the Eurovision Song Contest". ESCToday. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Brey, Marco (2010-02-27). "Sofia Nizharadze to sing "Shine" in Oslo!". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 27 February 2010.
- Hondal, Victor (2010-10-29). "Norway: Full line up for Melodi Grand Prix revealed". EscToday.com. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- NorwegianCharts.com: Hanne Sørvaag page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hanne Sørvaag.|