August 21, 1963 |
|Notable work(s)||Book My Best Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil (2010)
Book What Cats are Made of (2008)
Book My Dog is As Smelly As Dirty Socks (2007)
Book What Athletes are Made of (2006)
Book What Presidents Are Made Of (2004)
Book The Perfect Purple Feather (2002)
Hanoch Piven was born in Uruguay and raised in Israel. He studied at the School of Visual Arts in New York, graduating in 1992. When he returned to Israel in 1995, he began to work for Haaretz newspaper.
Piven's illustrated compositions are assembled from common objects and scraps of materials, including items which might be associated with the subject (for example, using bologna and liquor bottles to create Boris Yeltsin for Haaretz in 2000 or brains, magnifying glasses, and electrical wire to create Stephen Hawking for Die Weltwoche in 2006).
In 2003, Piven began conducting international workshops in such cities as Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Toronto and others. The workshops follow the principles of Piven's own collage technique and encourage young people to experiment with common day-today objects and pieces of the world around them to create their own works of art.
- Society of Illustrators Gold Medal (1995)
- Society of Publication Designers Silver Medal
- Art Directors Club Merit Award for Cover Illustration (1996)
- Folio Eddie & Ozzie awards Gold, Best Use of Illustration (2007)
- Time Magazine, One of Ten in Best Children's Books Of 2004 (for What Presidents Are Made Of
Published books in United States
- My Best Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil (2010) (ISBN 978-0375853388)
- What Cats are Made Of (2009) (ISBN 978-1416915317)
- My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks (2007) (ISBN 0-375-84052-4)
- What Athletes Are Made Of (2006) (ISBN 1-416-91002-6)
- The Scary Show of Mo and Jo (2005) (ISBN 978-0762420971)
- What Presidents Are Made Of (2004) (ISBN 0-689-86880-4)
- The Perfect Purple Feather (2002) (ISBN 0-316-76657-7)
- Faces: 78 Portraits from Madonna to the Pope (2002) (ISBN 0-764-92131-2)
- The Czech Center, Prague (2011)
- Plaza de la Concepción, Caceres, Spain (2011)
- The Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles (2010)
- Museo de los Niños, Guatemala City, Guatemala (2007)
- Museo de los Niños, Costa Rica (2007)
- Centro Cultura Judia, São Paulo, Brasil (2006)
- Centro Cultural Recoleta, Buenos Aires, Argentina (2004)
- Galeria Latina, Montevideo, Uruguay (2004)
- Haifa Museum, Israel (2000)
- Ashdod Museum, Israel (1998)
- Kibutz Ashdot Yaakov, Israel (1997)
- School of Visual Arts, New York City (1992)
- "The Atlantic Monthly Contributors". The Atlantic Monthly. 2000-02-01. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "The Embassy of Israel in Washington DC". 2008-09-01. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Boris Yeltsin by Hanoch Piven". pivenworld.com. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- "Stephen Hawkins by Hanoch Piven". pivenworld.com. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "The Village Voice - About us". Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "National Audubon Society - News". National Audubon Society. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- "Time 2004 Best and Worst". Time Magazine. 2004-12-18. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- Official website
- Piven talks at Tedx Jerusalem
- Artists blog
- Heflinreps, Inc. - Piven's US agent
- Czech Center Exhibition, 2011