Hans-Georg von Charpentier
|Hans Georg von Charpentier|
|Born||16 July 1902
|Died||9 March 1945
|Years of service||1935–1945|
8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
General Assault Badge
Hans Georg von Charpentier (16 July 1902 — 9 March 1945) was a Sturmbannführer (Major) in the Waffen SS during World War II. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II.
Hans Georg von Charpentier was born in Strassburg on the 16 July 1902. In his early years he was employed as a stall master in the Hippodrome at Frankfurt. Then from 1932 to 1935 he was on tour in Saarbrücken, when on tour he joined the NSDAP in August 1933 (party number 1375222) and volunteered to join the SS-VT in May 1935 in Hagen (SS number 258019). By the start of World War II he had been posted into the 3rd Squadron, 1st SS Totenkopf Cavalry Regiment.
World War II
In World War II Von Charpentier was selected to become an officer and promoted to Untersturmfuhrer (Second Lieutenant) in October 1940, he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class in August 1941, fighting in the Soviet Union during Operation Barbarossa when he was the Reconnaissance troop commander the Iron Cross 1st class was awarded in January 1942. In November 1942, he was given command of the 3rd Squadron, 15th SS Cavalry Regiment. He was awarded the Knight's Cross in December 1942 when in command of the 3rd Squadron
von Charpentier did not survive the war, he was killed in action during the attempted breakout from Budapest on the 9 March 1945.
- 1st SS Totenkopf Cavalry Regiment
- 3rd Squadron, 1st SS Cavalry Regiment, platoon commander 5.12.1939
- 1st SS Cavalry Regiment, Adjutant 15.08.1941
- 1st Cavalry Regiment, Squadron Commander, SS Cavalry Division 15.12.1941
- 3rd Squadron, 1st SS Cavalry Regiment Commander, SS Cavalry Division November 1942
- 18th SS Cavalry Regiment, 8th SS Cavalry Division Commander
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Mitcham, Samuel W (2007). Retreat to the Reich : the German defeat in France, 1944. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3384-7.
- Mitcham, Samuel W (2007). The German Defeat in the East, 1944–45. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3371-7.