Hans Lewy in 1975
(photo by George Bergman)
October 20, 1904|
|Died||August 23, 1988
Berkeley, California, United States of America
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Fields||Mathematical analysis, partial differential equations, several complex variables|
|Alma mater||University of Göttingen|
|Doctoral advisor||Richard Courant|
|Doctoral students||David Kinderlehrer
|Known for||Courant–Friedrichs–Lewy condition, Lewy's example|
|Influenced||numerical analysis, partial differential equations, several complex variables|
|Notable awards||Wolf prize (1986)|
Hans Lewy (20 October 1904 – 23 August 1988) was a German born American mathematician, known for his work on partial differential equations and on the theory of functions of several complex variables.
- Kinderlehrer, David, ed. (2002a), Hans Lewy Selecta. Volume 1, Contemporary Mathematicians, Boston-Basel-Stuttgart: Birkhäuser Verlag, pp. lxvi+357, ISBN 0-8176-3523-8, Zbl 1132.01312. With biographical essays by Helen Lewy and Constance Reid, and commentaries on Lewy's work by Erhard Heinz, Peter D. Lax, Jean Leray, Richard MacCamy, Louis Nirenberg and François Treves.
- Kinderlehrer, David, ed. (2002b), Hans Lewy Selecta. Volume 2, Contemporary Mathematicians, Boston-Basel-Stuttgart: Birkhäuser Verlag, pp. xviii, 446, ISBN 0-8176-3524-6, Zbl 1147.01335.
The following works are included in his "Selecta" in their original language or translated form.
- Courant, R.; Friedrichs, K.; Lewy, H. (1928), "Über die partiellen Differenzengleichungen der mathematischen Physik", Mathematische Annalen (in German) 100 (1): 32–74, doi:10.1007/BF01448839, JFM 54.0486.01, MR 1512478. There are also two English translations of the 1928 German original paper: the first one is a translation from the German by Phyllis Fox, circulated as a research report: Courant, R.; Friedrichs, K.; Lewy, H. (September 1956) , On the partial difference equations of mathematical physics, AEC Research and Development Report, NYO-7689, New York: AEC Computing and Applied Mathematics Centre – Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, pp. V + 76, archived from the original on October 23, 2008. The second one is a typographical improvement of the first, published by IBM as: Courant, R.; Friedrichs, K.; Lewy, H. (March 1967) , "On the partial difference equations of mathematical physics", IBM Journal of Research and Development 11 (2): 215–234, MR 0213764, Zbl 0145.40402. A freely downlodable version of this one can be fonud here
- Lewy, Hans (1957), "An example of a smooth linear partial differential equation without solution", Annals of Mathematics 66 (1): 155–158, doi:10.2307/1970121, JSTOR 1970121, MR 0088629, Zbl 0078.08104.
- Lewy, Hans (1977), On the boundary behavior of holomorphic mappings (Lezione tenuta il 3 maggio 1976) (Lecture given on May 3, 1976), Contributi del Centro Linceo Interdisciplinare di Scienze Matematiche e Loro Applicazioni 35, Rome: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, p. 8.
See also 
- A brief description of the motivation for the awarding can be found in the related web page Wolf Foundation 2003.
- Sherri Chasin Calvo (2000), "Politics Impinges upon Mathematics" (subscription required), in Neil Schlager, Science and Its Times: Understanding the Social Significance of Scientific Discovery. Vol. VII: 1950 to present, Gale Group, pp. 242–244, ISBN 978-0-7876-3939-6.
Biographical references 
- Kinderlehrer, David (2002), "Hans Lewy. A brief biographical sketch", in Kinderlehrer, David, Hans Lewy Selecta. Volume 2, Contemporary Mathematicians, Boston-Basel-Stuttgart: Birkhäuser Verlag, ISBN 0-8176-3524-6
- The New York Times, Obituary (September 2, 1988), "Dr. Hans Lewy, 83, Mathematics Professor", The New York Times, retrieved May 20, 2011
- Wolf Foundation (2003), THE 1984/5 WOLF FOUNDATION PRIZE IN MATHEMATICS, retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Protter, M.; J. L., Kelley; Kato, T.; Lehmer, D. H. (1988), "Hans Lewy, Mathematics: Berkeley. 1904-1988 Professor Emeritus", in Krogh, David, 1988, University of California: In Memoriam, Berkeley, CA: University of California, Berkeley, pp. 85–87.
- The Bancroft Library (2009), Guide to the Hans Lewy Papers, Collection number BANC MSS 91/147 cz, retrieved July 9, 2011.
- Dynkin, Eugene B. (October 7, 1981), Hans Lewy Interview October 7, 1981, Eugene B. Dynkin Collection of Mathematics Interviews, hdl:1813/17262. An audio interview, available at eCommons@Cornell from the [Eugene B. Dynkin Collection of Mathematics Interviews Eugene B. Dynkin Collection of Mathematics Interviews ].
- "Lewy ‹léevi›, Hans", Enciclopedia Treccani (in Italian), 2008, retrieved July 26, 2011. The biographical entry about Hans Lewy at the Enciclopedia Treccani.
- Hans Lewy at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Hans Lewy", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|