9 August 1991 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Hansika Motwani (born 9 August 1991) is an Indian actress who predominantly appears in Tamil and Telugu films. She made her film debut as a leading actress in the Telugu film Desamuduru (2007), winning the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South. She then appeared in several high-budget Telugu films, including Kantri (2008) and Maska (2009). She started her career in Tamil cinema with Mappillai (2011) and then appeared in several commercially successful Tamil films including Velayudham (2011), Oru Kal Oru Kannadi (2012), Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru (2013) Singam II (2013) and Maan Karate (2014).
Hansika Motwani was born to Pradeep Motwani, a businessman and Mona Motwani, a dermatologist. She has a brother Prashant Motwani. Her mother tongue is Sindhi and she is a Buddhist. She was born in Mumbai.
Hansika began her television career with a serial called Shaka Laka Boom Boom. She later acted in the Indian serial Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand, for which she received the Favorite Child Award at the Star Parivaar Awards, and appeared as one of the children in Koi Mil Gaya with Preity Zinta and Hrithik Roshan.
Hansika made her debut in a lead role in Puri Jagannadh's Telugu film Desamuduru, opposite Allu Arjun, earning the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South for her performance. Hansika made her debut as a leading actress in Bollywood with Himesh Reshammiya in Aap Kaa Surroor — a moderate hit. She next signed the Hindi film titled He: The Only One, where she was to essay the role of a killer, hell-bent on taking revenge for her family, but the film was later shelved.
Hansika's first 2008 release was Bindaas, starring Puneet Rajkumar, her first and only Kannada film to date. Later that year, she was paired with Jr. NTR in the film Kantri. She made her Tamil film debut in the unsuccessful 2011 film Mappillai, opposite Dhanush. Her next Tamil film, Engeyum Kadhal, opposite Jayam Ravi, was also unsuccessful. The 2011 film Velayudham, in which she starred alongside Vijay, became a box-office success; this was her first time playing the role of a village belle.
In 2012 Hansika had two releases, one in Tamil and Telugu each. Her first release was M. Rajesh's romantic comedy Oru Kal Oru Kannadi, which became her first runaway hit and earned her positive reviews from critics for her performance. In Telugu, she was featured in Denikaina Ready, opposite Vishnu Manchu, which also earned a positive response from the public. She received her first Best Actress nomination at the 60th Filmfare Awards South for her performance in the film. In 2013, she appeared in four Tamil films, Settai, opposite Arya, Sundar C.'s Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru, opposite Siddharth, Hari's Singam II starring Suriya  and Venkat Prabhu's Biriyani with Suriya's brother, Karthi. She had five releases in 2014, two of them being Telugu films, the comedy flick Pandavulu Pandavulu Thummeda  and the action-masala Power. Her Tamil releases were the fantasy film Maan Karate, Sundar C's horror comedy Aranmanai  and the action thriller Meaghamann, with the former two becoming two of the most profitable films of the year.
Aambala, her third collaboration with Sundar C, was her first 2015 release. She will next be seen in Vaalu with Silambarasan, with whom she was supposed to act in the gangster film Vettai Mannan as well, which was stalled. Other upcoming films of Motwani include the romance films Romeo Juliet and Uyire Uyire, the remake of the Telugu film Ishq under Jaya Prada's production as well as the magnum opus fantasy film Puli directed by Chimbu Deven.
Hansika is involved in many philanthropic activities. She provides monetary support for the education of 25 underprivileged children and also takes care of the medical needs of 10 women affected with breast cancer. She is the brand Ambassador of 'Chennai turns Pink', an awareness program to create breast cancer awareness among urban women.
Hansika has a devout fan base who has built a temple for her in Madurai, Tamil Nadu which became operational from January, 2013.
In 2014, she was featured in Forbes' list of 250 celebrities that make it to the 100 Most Influential Celebrities nominees list.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2003||Hawa||Sanjana's daughter||Hindi||Child artist|
|Koi... Mil Gaya||Priya Six||Hindi||Child artist|
|Aabra Ka Daabra||Pinky||Hindi||Child artist|
|Hum Kaun Hai?||Sara Williams||Hindi||Child artist|
|2007||Desamuduru||Vaishali||Telugu||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South|
|Aap Kaa Surroor||Ria||Hindi||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut|
|Money Hai Toh Honey Hai||Ashima Kapoor||Hindi|
|Engeyum Kadhal||Kayalvizhi Rajasekhar||Tamil|
|Oh My Friend||Ritu||Telugu|
|2012||Oru Kal Oru Kannadi||Meera Mahendrakumar||Tamil|
|Denikaina Ready||Sharmila||Telugu||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress|
|Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru||Sanjana||Tamil|
|2014||Pandavulu Pandavulu Thummeda||Honey||Telugu|
|Vaalu||Priya Mahalakshmi||Tamil||Scheduled for May 1|
|Romeo Juliet||Tamil||Post-production |
|2001-03||Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand||Tina||Hindi|
|2001||Shaka Laka Boom Boom||Karuna / Shona|
|2002||Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi||Baavri Virani|
|2003||Karishma Kaa Karishma||Teena|
|2004-05||Hum Do Hain Na||Kareena / Koyal|
|2005||Celebrity Fame Gurukul||Herself (Contestant)|
- Indian Telly Award for Child Artiste of the Year - Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand (2003)
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South - Desamuduru
- CineMAA Award for Best Female Debut - Desamuduru
- SIIMA Award for Best Debutant Actress - Tamil - Mappillai
- SIIMA Award for Special Appreciation as Actress - Telugu - Kandireega
- Chennai Times Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer-Female - Mappillai
- Edison Award for Best Actress - Oru Kal Oru Kannadi
- SIIMA Award for Best Actress - Tamil - Oru Kal Oru Kannadi
- Indian Telly Award for Best Child Artiste - Female - Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand (2004)
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut - Aap Ka Surroor
- Vijay Award for Best Debut Actress - Mappillai
- SIIMA Award for Best Actress - Tamil - Engeyum Kaadhal
- Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine - Engeyum Kaadhal
- Vijay Award for Favourite Heroine - Oru Kal Oru Kannadi
- "Hansika’s tryst with Kevin Pietersen". Deccan Chronicle. 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- Sreedhar, Pillai (8 August 2009). "I’m here to entertain: Hansika". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- Hansika chants for peace Mid-Day - February 21, 2010
- "Hansika speaks impressive Tamil - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- My life begins now: Hansika
- "Hansika charges 50 lakhs!". Sify. Retrieved 26 November 2006.
- "Hansika – The latest find". Rediff. Retrieved 26 November 2006.
- "The Tribune - Magazine section - Saturday Extra". Tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Hansika hikes her fee to 75 lakhs". Times of India. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Denikaina Ready: Title of Vishnu Babu's next film". CNN-IBN. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "'Delhi Belly' to be remade in Tamil". Indianexpress. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Hari to retain original cast for 'Singam II'". CNN-IBN. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Hansika is happy being a busy bee!
- "Ravi Teja, Hansika's film to start soon - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "CHENNAI BOX OFFICE". Behindwoods. May 25, 2014.
- "Why is Hansika nervous? - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Simbu and Hansika come together again in ‘Vaalu’". Times of India. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Hansika thrilled to play a ‘rowdy’". DeccanChronicle. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 9 May 2012.[dead link]
- "Hansika to adopt one more child - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Pink Ambassadors - Chennai Turns Pink
- "A temple in Hansika's name - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Forbes India Magazine - Forbes India Celebrity 100 Nominees List
- "Hansika, Ravi in Romeo Juliet". Times of India. 25 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Hansika Motwani 25 Aug 2004". TellychakkarTeam.
- "Now, Celebrity Fame Gurukul".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hansika Motwani.|
- Hansika Motwani on Facebook
- Hansika Motwani on Twitter
- Hansika Motwani at the Internet Movie Database