Hantaan River virus
|Hantaan River virus|
|Group:||Group V ((-)ssRNA)|
|Species:||Hantaan River virus|
Transmission is believed to be through inhalation of aersolized rodent urine and feces.
Morbidity and mortality
In hantavirus induced hemorrhagic fever, incubation time is between two to four weeks in humans before symptoms of infection present. Severity of symptoms depends on the viral load. Like Dobrava-Belgrade virus, Hantaan River virus has a mortality rate of 10 to 12%.
During the Korean War (1951–1953), more than 3000 American and Korean troops fell ill with renal failure, hemorrhage, and shock. The cause remained unknown until 1976 when Karl M. Johnson an American tropical virologist and his colleagues, including korean virologist, Lee Ho Wang (Ho Wang Lee), isolated Hantaan virus from the lungs of striped field mice.
- "Hantavirus infection—haemorrhagic fever in the Balkans—potential nephrological hazards in the Kosovo war". Ndt.oxfordjournals.org. 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- Lee HW, Baek LJ, Johnson KM. Isolation of Hantaan virus, the etiologic agent of Korean hemorrhagic fever, from wild urban rats. J Infect Dis 1982; 146: 638–644
- "The Murine Model for Hantaan virus-Induced Lethal Disease Shows Two Distinct Paths in Viral Evolutionary Trajectory with or without Ribavirin Treatment". Jvi.asm.org. 2013-07-31. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Yi J., Xu Z., Zhuang R., Wang J., Zhang Y., Ma Y., Liu B., Zhang Y., Zhang C., Yan G., Zhang F., Xu Z., Yang A. and Jin B. (2013). "Hantaan River Virus RNA Load in Patients Having Hemorrhagic Fever With Renal Syndrome: Correlation With Disease Severity". Journal of Infectious Disease (Oxford Journals) 207 (9): 1457–1461. doi:10.1093/infdis/jis475.
- Klenk and Heinz Feldmann, Jovan Pavlovic, Bärbel Anheier, Otto Haller, Hans-Dieter, Dominic Wichmann, Hermann-Josef Gröne, Michael Frese, Neurological Disease That Is Fatal in Adult with Hantaan Virus Infection.J. Virol. September 2002. Vol. 76. No. 17. 8890–8899.
- Sloan Science and Film / Short Films / Muerto Canyon by Jen Peel 29 minutes
- "Hantaviruses, with emphasis on Four Corners Hantavirus" by Brian Hjelle, M.D., Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico
- CDC's Hantavirus Technical Information Index page
- Viralzone: Hantavirus
- Virus Pathogen Database and Analysis Resource (ViPR): Bunyaviridae
- Occurrences and deaths in North and South America