Hany Farid is a professor of computer science at Dartmouth College, and former chair of Dartmouth's Neukom Institute for Computational Science. Farid specializes in image analysis, human perception, and has been called the "father" of digital image forensics by NOVA scienceNOW. The recipient of a 2006 Guggenheim Fellowship and a 2002 Sloan Fellowship for his work in the field, Farid has consulted for intelligence agencies, news organizations, courts, and scientific journals seeking to authenticate the validity of images. This is critically important because graphics programs, such as Photoshop, are frequently used to crop and to label figures in scientific publications. Such manipulations can be used to alter or disguise the data. In 2009 Farid, after digitally analyzing a photograph of Lee Harvey Oswald holding a rifle and newspaper, published his findings concluding that "the photo almost certainly was not altered."
- Farid, H. A Survey of Image Forgery Detection, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 26:2 (2009) 16-25.
- Farid, H. Digital Image Forensics, Scientific American, 298:6 (2008) 66-71.
- Johnson, M K and H Farid, Exposing Digital Forgeries in Complex Lighting Environments, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2:3 (2007) 450-461.
- Johnson, M K and H Farid, Exposing Digital Forgeries Through Specular Highlights on the Eye, 9th International Workshop on Information Hiding, Saint Malo, France (2007).
- Lyu, S, D Rockmore, and H Farid, A Digital Technique for Art Authentication, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 101:49 (2004) 17006-17010.
- "Profile: Hany Farid at NOVA scienceNOW". PBS. June 2008. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- Morris, Errol (August 11, 2008). "Photography as a Weapon". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Hany Farid - John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation". 2006. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- Dreifus, Claudia (October 2, 2007). "Proving That Seeing Shouldn’t Always Be Believing". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- Anwar, Eskay Seen At Apartment Lobby.
- US Experts Confirmed Anwar as Man in Video, Court Told.
- Farid, H (2009). "The Lee Harvey Oswald backyard photos: real or fake?". Perception 38 (11): 1731–1734. doi:10.1068/p6580. PMID 20120271.
- Dartmouth Professor finds that iconic Oswald photo was not faked. 11/05/09.
- "Hany Farid - Dartmouth Faculty Directory". Dartmouth College. Retrieved 21 January 2010.